Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
must have items >

must have items

must have items

Old 09-15-2012, 12:03 PM
Power Poster

Really don't buy a small mat. Buy the biggest you can. You will never regret it. A big mat, a 45mm rotary cutter, a 6 1/2" x 24" ruler, glass head pins, several pair of good scissors, several seam rippers, spools of thread and working machine and you can make a masterpiece.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:03 PM

Check if you machine has the 1/4inch seam foot if not that might be something to look into..it is very important to get that 1/4 seam I learn the hard way ...my machine didn't have one ..but now I have a quilting Janome and love it.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:58 PM

Letty you are right...I have 3 cutting mats...each time one bigger...wish I would have bought the biggest one first and I would not need the others. The mats fit nicely under the couch.
Originally Posted by Letty View Post
Welcome to the wonderful world of quilting.However, do take care,heed the advice from long time quilters. You do not have to buy everyone of the 'new rulers ' available or every new gadget that comes along. Believe me, I have been there and done it! A good cutting mat, the bigger the better,a good rotary cutter and at least a 6'' by 24'' ruler is a good start. Then look for all the wonderful advice from sites like this.As to irons, most of us have an iron for everyday use. Good luck with your class, I hope you get lots of honest advice and help which will start you on a wonderful journey. love Letty.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:04 PM

Leah Day has some great tips on what to get. she is wonderful!!! I learnt a ton from her! http://www.daystyledesigns.com/cuttingtools.htm
Old 09-15-2012, 03:43 PM

I have just read thru 5 pages of helpful advice from fellow quilters. You are all amazing with help. I just want to get my 2cents in. get a good pair of small thread scissors. This is something you can get down the road, but a big plus. Mine are spring loaded that stay open but does have a lock on them when traveling.

And signing up at Joanns and Hannocks for sales and coupons is big. You will save lots of money that way. I keep a running list of things I need and then get them on sale. For Christmas and my birthday....I always ask for gift cards from here or local fabric shops.

I too am a newbie to quilting and just love all these fellow quilters and their advice.
This board is adicting.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:29 PM

Another tip. Use a label maker to mark your name on all your stuff. Cutters, mats, scissors, machines, etc. can tend to all look alike when you get a bunch together. A regular #2 or mechanical pencil for marking. Use good quilters pins. Watch that you have your electrical connection and foot control when you pack your machine. Zip lock bags to hold pre-cut pieces together are a real help. And remember to have fun. I so enjoyed the quilt class I took. We all learned from each other.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:49 PM

I have signed up for a jelly roll class and also a beginner's quilting class which is 4 hours once a week for 4 weeks.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:58 PM
Power Poster

Don't ignore the new rulers and tools. They are not necessary but you need some spice along with the salt.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:17 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I have what most people recommend. I love this board. Every one seems so helpful and supportive! The classes have a max of 8 people in them which sounds like a good number. I also signed up for a Jodi Barrows Trunk show on the 24th.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:02 PM

when you start cutting your fabrics ,tie a small strip of your fabric around your scissors handle so you,ll know those are your pair to keep track of them