Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
must have items >

must have items

must have items

Old 09-14-2012, 06:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
Water erasable markers, to use for hand quilting.
I buy the crayola ones, test these first, i never have a prob getting them out.

Hate the purple one, blue doesn't always show for me.
I bought an old item that had been marked with those - it showed fade lines where it had been marked.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:42 AM

Add a roll of blue painter's tape (NOT masking tape). With that, you can make seam guides, label your quilt pieces, make your own sticky notes, and about a million other things!
Old 09-14-2012, 06:42 AM

Definitely don't buy a ruler shorter than 24" long as you won't be able to cut wof (width of fabric) strips easily with a shorter one - ask me what I bought as my first ruler - why 18" of course........ Same for a cutting mat.
Like you, I started from scratch and it is very tempting to buy everything at once, but take your time. The supplies aren't going anywhere and can probably be bought as you need them. Seam ripper, scissors and some quilting pins are mostly what you need for the moment. I hope you enjoy your class.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:43 AM
Power Poster

It's good that you want to be prepared for the class.

Do you have any other sewing supplies?
Old 09-14-2012, 05:31 PM

Matt and rotary cutter, ruler are things most have
Old 09-15-2012, 12:36 AM

Definitely only buy what you absolutely need for the class. Check out different types of rulers to see which are best for you. I can't see well on the ones with yellow lines but am very happy with the Nifty Notions Pink and Teal by Kay England. I just recently purchased a rotary cutter and the rulers from TruCut. I have been looking at them for some time online because I bought their electric rotary blade sharpener. BUT I wasn't going to buy them til I tried them. I found them at a store when I participated in a shop hop and found both DH and I like them very much.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:52 AM

One thing I found was do your research...and don't buy the cheap stuff. You will end up paying more later to upgrade...I agree with the quiliting pins. I bought the regular ones when I started and they are hard to get throught the fabric. Seam rippers many are too dull and thick. find a thin, sharp pair. Best advice I had was to purchase really good Ginger sissors. I love Accuquilt dies if you plan and making a lot of quilts but do not have a lot of time to cut out pieces. Not cheap but I love it...though if I have to do it over again would not buy as many dies as I did. I mainly use about 6 out of the too many to count dies that I have. Cutting board...their is a difference between brands, rotary cutter....I just upgraded after two years of using...now why did I not have this one to begin with...it works so much butter. I also would not have bought expensive non sale fabric like I did when I started. Fabric goes on sale all the time and if I knew then what I know now...I would have started with 100 percent cotton shirts from my closet...or all of those flannel shirts I donated of my husbands. You will love quilting enjoy...stock up on thread when it hits the 50 percent off sales. Before you buy thread though make sure you like that brand. That was another mistake that I made. Pick up your notions on sales...never pay full price for anything that is my motto ; )
Old 09-15-2012, 01:22 AM

an un-sewer (aka seam ripper). best wishes in your new journey.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:53 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

It's so funny. I haven't quilted in over a month (not the funny part) and my LQS owner, Dawn, made a class for me for the 22nd of Sept, too (the funny part). The pattern is "Woven" which I know nothing about but have the pattern. I have quite a bit of batiks and want to save myself some money, so I thought I'd bring the 15 fabrics I have over to her store and have her help me select what I need (at 20% off for the class) to make this quilt. She's loaning me a sewing machine with needle up/down and a threader, so I don't have to lug my 47 pound sewing machine 45 minutes to her shop. Is it weird that I bring my batiks and ask her if I can use any of them for the quilt? Or should I just buy all new? They are all about 3 yard cuts. I thought maybe I could use a couple of my batiks along with some from her store and save me some moolah.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:22 AM

As previously said, don't waste money on a small craft iron if you're on a budget. Get a regular full size iron.