View Single Post
Old 09-15-2012, 01:42 PM
DeneK

Question Frustration/FMQ and Janome 1600P

ARGH! Spent the whole morning fighting with my sewing machine trying to do a sample of a 8 1/2" QAYG block. Thread shreds and breaks every few inches.

Now, I use this machine on my HandiQuilter frame and admit that it usually takes a bit of time to get it sewing without excessive thread breakage. I am never sure what I did that actually worked -- change thread, change needle, change tension on the quilt, raise or lower it from the sewing machine bed. But finally some combination works and I can (mostly) get the quilting done.

I thought doing the small blocks with my machine on the desk would be easier. Also thought I might be able to see what is happening that causes my threads to break. Not sure I know any more than when I started, but wondering if the fact that my free motion foot does not move close to the fabric on the needle downstroke might be causing the thread to rub somewhere more than it should? Or if anyone has any words of advise, I'd love to hear them. I am at my wits end and don't know what to try next.