Old 09-16-2012, 04:49 PM
jcrow

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I tend to buy fabric lines. Like fat quarter bundles and then some yardage of a couple of the fabrics I like the most, so I will have enough to make a whole quilt. I have lots of Kona Cotton Snow. Lots. And use lots of it. I have one drawer of fat quarters that are all dots. I have one that's all stars. I have stacks of reds and stacks of greens and lots of off whites. I have 5 yards of black. I have finally bought batiks. Yards of it. Taking a class this coming weekend and I'm making a quilt that requires batiks, so I'm taking all my batiks and then buying some to be able to make this quilt. I know I'll need something that pops. I have lots of layer cakes with yardage that matches. I buy yardage with even charm packs. I have lots of fat quarters. I have so much left overs from all my quilts, too. Plus I started buying 5 1-yard fabrics for the pattern "It Takes 5" meaning it takes 5 1-yard of each fabric to make this pattern and it's a book. In fact, I think there are two books now. I like that idea. So, when I'm at a fabric store and find a piece of fabric, instead of buying 5 yards of it, I find 4 to match it and I'm set. I don't usually just buy one piece of fabric because I always think I won't have anything to match it and I've been in that situation before. Couldn't find anything! So I have this beautiful piece of fabric and it doesn't match any white or off white or any color I can find. So, it'll go in a scrap quilt, which I hate to do because it's so pretty. That's why I buy fabric lines or have a pattern in mind. Even my reds I have...I couldn't find the right color red I needed for an applique. I had to go to the quilt store and the owner had the right color in her purse. So, I can't just buy different pieces of fabric. I'm not good with color, I guess is what I'm saying. I like quilt kits. It's all figured out for you. The owner of my LQS will make me up a quilt kit if I show her a pattern and tell her what I'm wanting to do with it. She never disappoints.