View Single Post
Old 09-23-2012, 05:46 AM
Sierra

Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
[QUOTE Having said that I am trying to make a "quiet" quilt for a couple who are important to me but very conservative in their tastes. Never again! It isn't really conservative enough and I'm sure they are not going to really like it!
How can you say someone is important to you, but make something you are SURE THEY ARE NOT GOING TO REALLY LIKE? If they are important to you, then why are their likes and taste unimportant to you? Why are you more important to you than they are? That sounds very selfish![/QUOTE]

Easy, I went shopping, bought the material (related set from the same manufacturer), pinned pieces up on the quilt wall and it seemed OK. Then I started sewing, putting the pieces together. One day I walked into my sewing room and looked at the wall and realized that while I had tried hard to tone everything down I hadn't really. I've never bought fabric deliberately all of one "kind" before and had the impression people did that to be "safe" and sure the colors would all go together. It isn't warm or gentle or conservative; it's splotchy. It isn't me, and it isn't them. I tried too hard.