Old 09-24-2012, 01:21 PM
oksewglad
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltingNinaSue View Post
Oksewglad, some places in Iowa, the deer have a disease...too thick, not enough hunting and thinning down the herds. I think they need to let homesteaders hunt more 'cause they fed them deer.

Love your blocks, Jeanie. I see that my camera is related to yours...but I am sure your blocks are straight and blocks are perfect, unlike mine. Love the color in your blocks.
I had not heard the CWD had been found in Iowa recently--sounds like it was in SW Ia and on a breeding facility in NC Ia, rather than here in the NE. But yes the deer are fed very well by farmers. They maul corn fields for corn (wild turkeys do, too) and love the tender alfalfa sprouts. We had a DNR person tell us deer don't like alfalfa. Okay so we'd watch the deer come and go to our hay shed and reach through the gates to get at it. Here in Iowa you have a 1 in 77 chance of hitting a dear. They caused $27 M of damage to Iowa motorists in 2010 for an average of over $3000 per accident. 90 years ago when my dad was a kid it was a big thing to see a deer, How times have changed.