View Single Post
Old 09-24-2012, 01:28 PM
irishrose

Originally Posted by irishrose View Post

Fiskars just don't hold an edge for me. I save those for fleece - do not cut fleece with your good scissors.
I do like my pink Mondial scissors, too.

The fleece: When I worked at JoAnn's we found that the tight knit of the polyester all but ate the edge off the Fiskars which was corporate's preferred brand for us to use. I marked several pair with a ribbon with fleece printed on it on instructed my staff to use only those for fleece and related fabrics. That took care of the problem with scissors too dull to cut the quilting fabrics. When my Fiskars at home were missing recently, I bought dollar store scissors rather than touch my Ginghers or Mondials to fleece.

The other reason I don't care for Fiskars is the thick blade makes exact cutting more difficult, but that may be an apparel thing.

Replace them: Definitely! My husband and young son used my dressmaker Ginghers in the tackle box while I was at the Mayo Clinic. Have you ever seen a pair of metal scissors soaked in brine? My husband looked like this guy when he found out the replacement price.