Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scissors? from a Newbie >

Scissors? from a Newbie

Scissors? from a Newbie

Old 09-24-2012, 05:01 PM

All I can say is.....Gingher!!! I love my Gingher scissors and woe to any man in my house (i.e., my dear wonderful husband) who tries to use them for anything but fabric!! He has learned the hard way not to just step into my sewing room and grab those scissors when he needs to cut those plastic zip ties off something in his gun room... tsk, tsk.....
Old 09-24-2012, 05:10 PM

Gingher's don't fit my hand or work as well for me. I need the spring type of Fiskars to do my work. They are lightweight and I only have to squeeze, not pull. Much easier for me to use.

ali
Old 09-24-2012, 05:23 PM

Gingher's are pricey, but well worth the money IMHO, I have fiskar's and ginghers and I like ginghers more. You can find them reasonably on ebay or when they go on sale at joanns or use a coupon. I have never paid full price for my ginghers and they are my go to scissor, cut like butter.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by AliKat View Post
Gingher's don't fit my hand or work as well for me. I need the spring type of Fiskars to do my work. They are lightweight and I only have to squeeze, not pull. Much easier for me to use.

ali
They have lightweight gingher's that are awesome, my aunt lent me hers and never got them back
Old 09-24-2012, 05:27 PM

My Ginghers are probably 35 years old! I can't remember the last time they were sharpened....30 years ago??? I only cut fabric with them. Period
Sandy
Old 10-21-2012, 03:30 PM

Love the Kai scissors. I purposely buy a specific brand of scissors for different cutting needs so that I don't get them mixed up. Kai for cutting out appliqué fabric pieces and Gingher for general fabric cutting. I have inexpensive off brands with different color handles that I use specifically for cutting batting and any paper or plastic template pieces. MOST importantly is to guard your scissors from family members...put them under lock and key if necessary! More scissors have seen their demise by being used for something other than what they were intended, i.e. box cutters, letter openers, etc.

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
There are many many choices!! You can spend upwards of a few hundred dollars on various types of scissors, or you can spend $20 for a pair that may do the job.

Bring some scrap fabric to the store with you to cut up!!!

First .. make sure they are comfortable to your hand and well balanced. Some folks prefer a light weight scissor, some prefer a heavier scissor ... try them both and see what you are most comfortable with.

Next ... how do they cut? Was it comfortable, easy, is it a nice clean edge? Suggest when you do test cuts you bring the fabric to a table just like you would cut at home - don't try to hold the fabric in the air and cut while still standing in front of the scissor display. It's not a good test of hwo you'll be using the product.

Last ... is the price right for you??

Finally ... once you have a pair of fabic scissors DO NOT use them for anything else!!! NO PAPER!! Don't even think about snipping just that one little price tag plastic thingey!! Don't cut hair with them either. Fabric only. If you use them properly, keep them dry, oil them (sewing machine oil is great) once every now and then, and keep them clean ... you may not have to sharpen them too often and they should last you a very long time.

Oh. Two brands that are pretty well respected are Fiskars and Kai. Don't disregard others though, buy what your hand likes best. The most expensive scissors that feel like crap in your hand are not worth it.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:11 PM

I'm a Gingher gal, too. Don't like Fiskars because the blade is too fat and i can't get an accurate cut. For thread snips by my machine, i like spring loaded ones. I have had good luck having my scissors sharpened at quilt shows only. Won't let anyone else touch them.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:57 PM
Power Poster

Good scissors use to be very expensive, not anymore. New cheaper steel sharpening methods are available now, so scissors aren't expensive to make as they use to be. Ginghers are under $15 at Amazon.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:34 PM

Ginghers all the way here! 5 pair of snips, a pair for each Pfaff sewing machine and sewing box for hand work, scissors in every size, some a couple of pair, rottery cuttery and seam ripper, I love Gingher products!
Old 10-21-2012, 05:51 PM

I bought some ginghers at Joann's when they were 50% off and used an extra 20% off coupon. I have been very happy with them. This weekend they were 50% off again so I bought some gingher thread snips too.