View Single Post
Old 10-21-2012, 03:30 PM
batikmystique

Love the Kai scissors. I purposely buy a specific brand of scissors for different cutting needs so that I don't get them mixed up. Kai for cutting out appliqué fabric pieces and Gingher for general fabric cutting. I have inexpensive off brands with different color handles that I use specifically for cutting batting and any paper or plastic template pieces. MOST importantly is to guard your scissors from family members...put them under lock and key if necessary! More scissors have seen their demise by being used for something other than what they were intended, i.e. box cutters, letter openers, etc.

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
There are many many choices!! You can spend upwards of a few hundred dollars on various types of scissors, or you can spend $20 for a pair that may do the job.

Bring some scrap fabric to the store with you to cut up!!!

First .. make sure they are comfortable to your hand and well balanced. Some folks prefer a light weight scissor, some prefer a heavier scissor ... try them both and see what you are most comfortable with.

Next ... how do they cut? Was it comfortable, easy, is it a nice clean edge? Suggest when you do test cuts you bring the fabric to a table just like you would cut at home - don't try to hold the fabric in the air and cut while still standing in front of the scissor display. It's not a good test of hwo you'll be using the product.

Last ... is the price right for you??

Finally ... once you have a pair of fabic scissors DO NOT use them for anything else!!! NO PAPER!! Don't even think about snipping just that one little price tag plastic thingey!! Don't cut hair with them either. Fabric only. If you use them properly, keep them dry, oil them (sewing machine oil is great) once every now and then, and keep them clean ... you may not have to sharpen them too often and they should last you a very long time.

Oh. Two brands that are pretty well respected are Fiskars and Kai. Don't disregard others though, buy what your hand likes best. The most expensive scissors that feel like crap in your hand are not worth it.