Thread: 1/4 seam
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 07:35 AM
saf

Originally Posted by Tashana View Post
I am working of a patter that requires a scant 1/4" seam, and there is no fudging here, it has to be perfect. It is a twisty Bargello. Since I rarely use the real 1/4" seam I decided to help mysel a little by placing some markers such as 3M tape for holding up hooks. The tape works great BUT to get a SCANT 1/4" I would have to put the tape so close that it would interfere with the regular sewing foot I have. I ordered the 1/4" but they sent me a wrong one! Just my luck. I have two options - one is to move my needle to the rightmost position mark my distance and hope for the best, and the other option is to use regular needle position with a walking foot. I prefer not to use walking foot for piecing. The reason I usually do not use 1/4" is because I always create my own patterns and I just use the width of my regular sewing foot. My seams are always very consistent width. If I did it the same with the pattern, do you think it would distort it? All the seams would be the same size but a tad wider? Please help! Thank you!
I have an older (30 years old) Riccar machine which I used for piecing when my niece used my Janome. Like yours it has limited needle positions and I don't have a quarter inch foot that fits. I also used 3M tape to get a quarter inch seam but I put the tape about a quarter inch in front of the foot. As long a the fabric leads into the needle at the appropriate width it will stitch at that width with the possible exception of the last little bit. I used my seam ripper to steady the last little piece. I was very pleased with the way that this worked. BTW I also starch well.