View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 05:52 PM
Dolphyngyrl

The more money you pay the more metal you will get, plastic does have its place though because metal is not as easily portable, my plastic cheap brother goes to all my classes and never has a lick of problems, my metal machine weighs about 35lb, 50 with the embroidery unit which is also super heavy. There is no best sewing machine there is just a preference of brand, you will find die hards for all the brands hear. you have to test drive different brands to see what feels right for you, for me I love my brothers/babylocks and wouldn't even stray to another brand, even bernina. There are a lot of janome fans on here as well as bernina and pfaff and then you have the vintage group that wont even touch new machines, and people like me that have no interest in vintage even though I have a few featherweights coming my way one day. Really its just all boils down to preference because all brands have quality machines and some of lower quality in the more affordable range. I would just suggest set a budget, attend a show with lots of dealers and test drive as many machines as possible in and even out of you price range so that you know what features are out there if you want to upgrade one day when you can afford more. Usually sewing expo, craft fairs, county fairs will have your local dealers with specials going on gives you a goo chance to get to know your most local dealers.