Old 10-08-2012, 06:35 PM
QuiltE
Power Poster

Thanks Ladies ... some pretty pretties for me, before off to bed!

What an interesting read this thread was ... from quilting, to wildlife to who the giants and pygmies are of this group .... and more!

CWD ... deer herds are monitored here for this. I don't think it's as much concern as it was a few years ago.

And while we're talking about the wildlife damage to crops ... let us not forget our national bird, the Canada Goose ... surely some must go south? Though with corn here to eat all winter long, more and more of them stay and continue to eat (and destroy!).

How about coyotes? Not for food, though dreaded for their kill instinct. Many live in the bushes/valleys. I often hear them at night or early morn.

Hunters are getting antsy here. Deer hunting doesn't start til November for the better part, unless you are way north. Moose hunting will have started for those that head northwards and gradually it will work to it's more southern areas, though not so far south as here.

As kids we regularly had deer and moose as my Grandfather went hunting. I think what I enjoyed the most was the bear meat we got one year. ITA with OKSGlad that deer meat isn't so gamey anymore ... never thought about the extra feed! The last few years that I had deer meat to cook, I tended to just do the same as beef ... and even often barbecued it. One of our ways of cooking venison was with tomato juice instead of the vinegar ... Mom did it once, and the pickled smell in the house, turned us all off! Never again!