Old 10-08-2012, 07:48 PM
SharonAnne

Segasal - My opinion is pretty much the same. 1st talk to your DH to get his thoughts and complete support for your mutual decision. Have you ever met his Aunt? Ever talked to her? Think positive - maybe she wants to talk about your special needs and understand your relationship with Meadow. However, it is just as likely that she is worried about animal hygiene, fleas, shedding, etc. Still, I think I would begin to talk to her as if she has an open, caring mind more concerned with people than her possessions. If she says you cannot bring Meadow, then I would not go visit, and thus antagonize her. Meadow's training/bonding is way too important to both your futures. If you leave him at this early stage of your training, he will definitely be confused and would likely suffer a possibly irreversible setback. I think he already knows he is supposed to guard you 24/7/365. Leaving him this early in the relationship may ruin it completely. Perhaps in 6 months to a year, it might not matter. Still, he is your family and a beloved necessity, not a luxury. Aunt will have to understand that. Maybe a compromise might work. While you are eating or staying in one room, you may not need Meadow as much, and perhaps Auntie will consent to leaving him in one comfortable warm room rather than let him have what she feels might be the run of the house - maybe a laundry room or a mud room. First of all though, you need to talk as calmly and reassuringly as possible, and assess the situation before making judgements or decisions.

I like Laquita's idea of handing out information pages and maybe you could even ask if other guests have any concerns (maybe allergies, babies, etc), so you can further reassure her of what can be done to keep the concerns to a minimum.

Good luck with whatever you do, and I'm looking forward to hearing about the outcome.

Anastasia - How funny that you like heavy stuff. I love jackets, layers, lots of blankets, etc as well. The only heavy thing I don't like is bulky, heavy pierced earrings. I'm always afraid they'll rip my ears out.

Vanogay - Praying you do not need to suffer through surgery (and ultimately setting off airport sirens - lol - not very funny, I know). Keep us posted.