View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 03:51 AM
QuiltnNan
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DebbE View Post
The way I look at it, quilting was started by thrifty women who had only scraps from clothes they made, and swapped with others for variety. I 'honor' that tradition by being thrifty -- yes, I'd love to be able to buy the really nice fabrics from designers, but I have other things to spend money on, too. So I buy in the clearance areas at the LQS, some from Joann's, Hancock and very occasionally, Walmart (the fabric at our store is usually cheap). But I also buy at Goodwill, as quilters pass away and their family members donate not knowing just how much those fabrics are worth, in money and in their loved ones eyes. I also buy at yard sales, and even clothing that I see at yard sales where the fabric is nice and in good shape, which I then cut up. Our economy isn't going to improve for a very long time, so we all have to save where we can. But we can still enjoy our art and produce beautifully, well made quilts for others as reasonable prices, too.
i totally agree with this response. i don't make quilts for show, only to be loved.