View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 03:52 PM
QuiltE
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
The Passage Quilts program at our local hospital only offers quilts to the patients. They do not have to take it if they don't want one. After the patient passes, the quilt is then offered to the family - again, they do not have to accept it. If they don't want it, it will be washed and offered to someone else.

I would also like to point out that some posters here seem to be confused by the term "passage quilts" - the program I am referring to does not provide quilts to those who have already died. We provide warm, comforting, cheerful quilts to those who are terminally ill. My own personal feeling about that is I'd rather have a quilt I made keep a person warm, rather than drape a coffin. By then it's too late.

It's important to realize and accept that the term "Passage Quilts" are used with different meanings.

The "Passage Quilts" which many of us are familiar with are the ones used to cover the body as it leaves the home, Hospice, or wherever the person is at the time of passing. It's to cover the body with warmth and love in a different sense, so that those who see the person do not see the cold, stark body bag, that would otherwise been seen. It provides comfort to those people, and help to make the acceptance of the loss of their friend/family member as they see them in a familiar way as though tucked in bed and sleeping. Similarly, for any others who happen to see (eg. no connection, but in a hallway, etc.) it is easier for them to witness the passing by of the gurney.

Passage Quilts of this sort are commonly used in Hospice Homes across the USA and Canada (and perhaps other parts of the world too, I don't know!). Their use has grown beyond HH via funeral directors when they move bodies, as they realize how they can ease a difficult situation for many.

They are not meant as "keepers", rather as a continual use item, kept for the purpose intended.