View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 01:53 PM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by sewmom View Post
I have a question. I have not done a twister quilt yet, but would like to do a baby quilt in greens. If i put it together in the 5" squares step in the shape of a shamrock, and then cut it up in the twister step, will it look like a shamrock when I sew it back together? Like your Christmas tree? It would be so cool if it did.
Thanks everyone for your kind words! Now, you all need to go get the Twister ruler (for 10" squares) or the Lil Twister (for 5" squares). Wouldn't it be cool to see how many different quilt tops we could all come up with using the Twister rulers and different ideas!

Yes, you can sew your quilt together using 5" squares in the shape of a shamrock, then cut it apart using the LiL Twister ruler (it is a 3.5" twister ruler) very carefully row by row - you will end up with a Shamrock with the Twister look! The key is that you have to carefully cut the first top you made starting on the top left outside edge, going carefully across the row - laying the twister ruler with the lines lined up at each intersection. You have to line the pieces up exactly as you cut them. Sew each row as you go so none of the pieces get out of sequence - you will see the pin wheels forming - just keep the rows in perfect order!

Remember, the second top is easy as long as you line up the pieces as you cut them - sew the pieces into a row, attach the rows together. The second quilt has to be done piece by piece in sequence to get the fabric to match up.

Oh and to answer the size question, first quilt top was about 65x70. The finished Twister tree measures 47x50 with the border on.

Have fun and please post your projects!

Nancy