View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012, 08:46 AM
DogHouseMom

Absolutely!! I just finished a raw edge using a fusible - 12" block for a block swap. I love the way it turned out.

I used steam-a-seam lite fusible then sewed it down with a close zig-zag (not quite a satin stitch) using a clear poly thread. The end result was a nice clean edge. I did not go over with it a blanket stitch for a "homey" look ... but certainly could have.

I've also done a landscape quilt where the applique was layered on. I started with a base of muslin, then started tacking on different pieces of fabric to get my landscape - the fabric was first put on with a glue stick, then once I was happy I went around just the outside edges of the fabric pieces with a clear poly thread. No fusible was used. In this case I used a straight stitch to stitch the edges down - mostly because it was a wall hanging and because it was a landscape quilt - so the little bit of raw fray was part and parcel of the whole look.

I've got another project in the works where I drew the applique pattern onto transparent paper, laid the applique fabric on the quilt top then the transparent paper over the top. I then used a very small straight stitch on my machine to sew around the applique pattern. Then I tore that off and clipped the excess applique fabric about 1/2" from the stitched edge - then I frayed the edges intentionally for a "fuzzy edge" look. In this case I was using homespuns so it frayed nicely.

Last edited by DogHouseMom; 10-14-2012 at 08:49 AM.