Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Again another question about applique! >

Again another question about applique!

Again another question about applique!

Old 10-14-2012, 08:38 AM

Question Again another question about applique!

Ok ladies you can probably tell I am fairly new to quilting and to applique. I posted a question the other day about what type of applique you prefer. Freezer paper or fusible. The reply was about half and half. Now I am wondering, would you consider doing raw edge applique on a quilt block? The block is all applique and is flowers, leaves, stems etc. All responses greatly appreciated!
Old 10-14-2012, 08:41 AM

I would do fusible with a teeny blanket stitch in matching thread. Or If I wanted a more folk arty look I'd use all black thread.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:46 AM

I would never do fusible on ANYTHING! It's just your decision.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:46 AM

Absolutely!! I just finished a raw edge using a fusible - 12" block for a block swap. I love the way it turned out.

I used steam-a-seam lite fusible then sewed it down with a close zig-zag (not quite a satin stitch) using a clear poly thread. The end result was a nice clean edge. I did not go over with it a blanket stitch for a "homey" look ... but certainly could have.

I've also done a landscape quilt where the applique was layered on. I started with a base of muslin, then started tacking on different pieces of fabric to get my landscape - the fabric was first put on with a glue stick, then once I was happy I went around just the outside edges of the fabric pieces with a clear poly thread. No fusible was used. In this case I used a straight stitch to stitch the edges down - mostly because it was a wall hanging and because it was a landscape quilt - so the little bit of raw fray was part and parcel of the whole look.

I've got another project in the works where I drew the applique pattern onto transparent paper, laid the applique fabric on the quilt top then the transparent paper over the top. I then used a very small straight stitch on my machine to sew around the applique pattern. Then I tore that off and clipped the excess applique fabric about 1/2" from the stitched edge - then I frayed the edges intentionally for a "fuzzy edge" look. In this case I was using homespuns so it frayed nicely.

Last edited by DogHouseMom; 10-14-2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:52 AM

I do raw edge on quilt blocks a lot. I never use a fusible product. I stick the pieces down with a glue stick and do the raw edge applique. When i quilt, i make sure that on large pieces of applique, i quilt those pieces down. Whatever you decide to do, it'll be beautiful!
Old 10-14-2012, 10:27 AM

I have used Steam a Seam Lite and used a satin stitch to sew the appliqué down. I have also used a blanket stitch when I used the fusible. This year, I have hand sewn all of my appliqué. I like doing both hand and machine appliqué. I just like appliqué! Whatever you decide to do, I know it will be lovely.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:30 PM

If you raw edge applique and wash it allot won't it fray away? I've always wondered