Old 10-14-2012, 12:48 PM
Just Me...

I am a longarmer and have found this thread interesting. I don't "book" quilts. My experience has been that I usually end up waiting for the customer to bring it to me and it has pushed me behind. I take quilts FIFO (first-in, first-out). We have a secure place where they are hung. I use suit hangers--backing is on the slacks portion and quilt is over the other rod. They are assigned a number when taken in and logged into a book....always done in numerical order. I have two longarm machines--one for custom and one for allovers. Allovers are done within a few days to a week. Custom depends on how many are backed up. The longest custom usually takes is around three months. My "custom ladies" all know the drill and are fine with the wait on their quilts. I will not rush to get them done and I do not do rush quilts--ever. I have, however, taken the backing in for someone who is planning ahead with the understanding that the quilt top itself will arrive within a week. (Usually customers with a raffle or show quilt will do this.) I have never charged anywhere close to $1200 for a quilt--even custom. I agree that it must have been show quality! Wow! I do have a minimum charge due to the amount of time it takes to load/unload a quilt. I do not charge extra for thread. (I know some places have a thread charge on the bill...) We get quilts that are mailed in from all over the US, and they are placed in the same 'line-up'. The log we keep quilts on can be used by employees if a customer calls in to find out where we are on the quilt.