Thread: speed quilting
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 11:31 AM
azwendyg

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem View Post
I enjoy the whole process, however I am known as a speed quilter to my friends that I quilt with. I just run it fast. Maybe since I am trying not to drive my car over the speed limit I feel the need to run my sewing Machine that way! I am not trying to race anyone or get things done "faster" I just piece and sew fast. It could take me days and hours to pick out my fabrics but once I have a plan I get er done. I do have a huge stack of UFO's that need to be attended to but......... I also make a lot of little quilts for Quilts for Kids and my guild that go to babies in the Neonatal Care Unit at our local hospital. I try to get a stack done to get out at the same time.
I'm right there with you Gayle!

I work full-time so my quilting time is limited. I am very goal-oriented, but do enjoy the process along the way very much. For me it's more about efficient use of my time, which adds enjoyment to the process for me. Once I have everything cut and ready to sew, it's kind of a game for me to see how efficiently I can do it and still meet my rather "perfectionist personal standards". It doesn't really have anything to do with what speed someone else wants to work. I often spend days, weeks, or months designing, planning and gathering fabrics and other supplies for a project. Then I spend some time experimenting with techniques before I'm ready to get down to business. Once I start the actually sewing, I work on it for hours on end and love to watch my plan/design come together.

That being said, I also have no problem at all working with a group who moves a little slower. I figure if I have extra time to spend interacting with the group, that's just fine.

So many projects, so little time!

Last edited by azwendyg; 10-15-2012 at 11:34 AM.