Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: speed quilting

speed quilting

Does anyone piece/quilt with other quilters who "just want to get another quilt done"? I enjoy piecing and sometimes I do need to get a quilt done in a crunched timeframe but....have you ever had the issue of sewing with someone who doesn't seem to enjoy the journey just the finished project? Don't get me wrong, I love a good quick and easy quilt but I do not like to "mass produce"...I enjoy the entire process from picking fabric to the binding and labeling the label. Your thoughts?

Blog Entries
    i love the process, as well. however, when our charity group needs to get 'er done, i enjoy seeing it come together so fast with the help of so many hands.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Too bad you are not closer so that we can quilt together. I really enjoy the whole process. Although, i have to say that if somebody is extremely slow dwelling on a shade of gray thread for two hours i can get a bit antsy. The only thing I really try to rush are the chores so that I can go back to quilting.

If I were in a hurry I'd buy a $10.00 blanket. Quilting is my passion, not my job and I enjoy each step equally. Well...perhaps not the cutting

But I don't care what anyone else does.

There is a lady who comes into the shop here who is a speed piecer. We have taken a couple of the same classes together and it always drove me nuts to hear the machine she used barreling @ 100 miles an hour. She really just loved getting the quilts done quickly and it wasn't always very pretty!! Then when she got her own Bernina, she drove that thing was she was on the autobahn or something-lol! I'm in a rut right now, but I truly love the joy of creating a quilt from choosing fabric until the binding gets on. The process is such a wonderful thing! You are not alone in thinking so!

Blog Entries
    I also want to enjoy the process. I want to make quilts that look well thought out in pattern and fabric and look like they took a long time to make.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

I'd love to sew with others. However, any time I've tried it (outside of a classroom setting, that is), we always end up doing more chatting than sewing. Not that it bothers me, just not overly productive. Most times I'm not in it for the speed but sometimes you have to rev up a bit when there's a deadline!

Totally agree!

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
    I'd love to sew with others. However, any time I've tried it (outside of a classroom setting, that is), we always end up doing more chatting than sewing. Not that it bothers me, just not overly productive. Most times I'm not in it for the speed but sometimes you have to rev up a bit when there's a deadline!

I love the process..there are times I try to get the piecing done as quick as possible, but that is to get to my favorite part---the hand quilting!! Of course the planning is never rushed..I want to enjoy looking at the top as I quilt

My daughter wanted me to make something for a teacher's grandson. He likes Thomas the Train. I found fleece with Thomas on it, some flannel for the back, doubled the batting and I was done in a few hours. Then I could get back to the "real" quilting. Sometimes, speed quilting serves a purpose. That little boy is going to love the trains and not care two hoots about how it was quilted or if my binding is perfect. Fast, slow, it's all good

Quote Originally Posted by Neena View Post
    Does anyone piece/quilt with other quilters who "just want to get another quilt done"? I enjoy piecing and sometimes I do need to get a quilt done in a crunched timeframe but....have you ever had the issue of sewing with someone who doesn't seem to enjoy the journey just the finished project? Don't get me wrong, I love a good quick and easy quilt but I do not like to "mass produce"...I enjoy the entire process from picking fabric to the binding and labeling the label. Your thoughts?
    So what's your issue? My thought is what somebody else is doing over at their machine in no way impacts what I'm doing at my machine. I don't care how many or how few quilts somebody else gets done and my enjoyment of the process is in no way impacted or diminished by somebody else's enjoyment or lack of enjoyment of the process.

wow! Thanks for the reality therapy Dr. Phil answer!

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
    So what's your issue? My thought is what somebody else is doing over at their machine in no way impacts what I'm doing at my machine. I don't care how many or how few quilts somebody else gets done and my enjoyment of the process is in no way impacted or diminished by somebody else's enjoyment or lack of enjoyment of the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Neena View Post
    wow! Thanks for the reality therapy Dr. Phil answer!
    LOL, I've never watched Dr. Phil but I'm definitely a realist. Plus I have a Margaret to deal with in my sewing group. She doesn't have a stash, only buys for one project at a time and cranks out quilts like it's some kind of contest. I also had a neighbor that thought housework was some kind of competition. My answer is "how nice for you" and then I go on with my happy life. And really, not worrying about what other people do, think or say is the secret to my happy life.

lol...totally agree!

LOL, I've never watched Dr. Phil but I'm definitely a realist. Plus I have a Margaret to deal with in my sewing group. She doesn't have a stash, only buys for one project at a time and cranks out quilts like it's some kind of contest. I also had a neighbor that thought housework was some kind of competition. My answer is "how nice for you" and then I go on with my happy life. And really, not worrying about what other people do, think or say is the secret to my happy life.

I can make a quilt in two weeks, start to finish without even trying. I enjoy every step, some more than others. I have lots of fabric and since I get older everyday I want to use as much as I can. After all that is why I bought it. I do what I want and leave it to others to do the same thing. I like to work by myself at whatever pace I want.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

"how nice for you"...what a great response!
    I too, get the feeling that ms. speedy is "lording it over you". Something is bothering you, and I think this response gives you something satisfying to respond with.
    I have never been able to compete with others, bc I am in my own little mousie world, happy there, and if interrupted...well, there goes everything, so I have to quilt alone.
    I am definitely not a multi-tasker, but I don't need to be and neither do you. That's the beauty of quilting. It can be done in groups, in public, in the car, in a bar...although I don't reccommend it, lol...but for me...alone is best!
    It is a blessing, to be a blessing !
    ~Quilters are warm people!!!~
    cheese brings parties together

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...HJV/weight.png

I like to take my time and enjoy what I'm doing. If I take longer than someone else, so what? I do find many people are extremely competitive, about almost anything they do; I try to stay away from people like that.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

I enjoy the whole process, however I am known as a speed quilter to my friends that I quilt with. I just run it fast. Maybe since I am trying not to drive my car over the speed limit I feel the need to run my sewing Machine that way! I am not trying to race anyone or get things done "faster" I just piece and sew fast. It could take me days and hours to pick out my fabrics but once I have a plan I get er done. I do have a huge stack of UFO's that need to be attended to but......... I also make a lot of little quilts for Quilts for Kids and my guild that go to babies in the Neonatal Care Unit at our local hospital. I try to get a stack done to get out at the same time.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim's Gem View Post
    I enjoy the whole process, however I am known as a speed quilter to my friends that I quilt with. I just run it fast. Maybe since I am trying not to drive my car over the speed limit I feel the need to run my sewing Machine that way! I am not trying to race anyone or get things done "faster" I just piece and sew fast. It could take me days and hours to pick out my fabrics but once I have a plan I get er done. I do have a huge stack of UFO's that need to be attended to but......... I also make a lot of little quilts for Quilts for Kids and my guild that go to babies in the Neonatal Care Unit at our local hospital. I try to get a stack done to get out at the same time.
    I'm right there with you Gayle!

I work full-time so my quilting time is limited. I am very goal-oriented, but do enjoy the process along the way very much. For me it's more about efficient use of my time, which adds enjoyment to the process for me. Once I have everything cut and ready to sew, it's kind of a game for me to see how efficiently I can do it and still meet my rather "perfectionist personal standards". It doesn't really have anything to do with what speed someone else wants to work. I often spend days, weeks, or months designing, planning and gathering fabrics and other supplies for a project. Then I spend some time experimenting with techniques before I'm ready to get down to business. Once I start the actually sewing, I work on it for hours on end and love to watch my plan/design come together.

That being said, I also have no problem at all working with a group who moves a little slower. I figure if I have extra time to spend interacting with the group, that's just fine.

So many projects, so little time!
    Last edited by azwendyg; 10-15-2012 at 11:34 AM.
    Wendy

I enjoy the process as well. I have had ladies in quilting classes who are all about "hurrying up and getting it done" paired with ladies who are all about "doing a great job and enjoying the results". You just have to go at your own pace and continue to enjoy the process. Sometimes projects take me longer than I expect, but I enjoy the journey, so I don't stress about it.
    http://www.appalachianquilts.blogspot.com
    http://www.quiltweb.net

This is such a good topic for discussion. I fit into both categories depending on the quilt I'm working on. Charity quilts get the "speedy me", and for others I am slow and deliberate. My observation is that people new to quilting tend to get discouraged because they cannot put tops together as fast as they thought they could. What a wonderful lesson it would be for them to hear our discussion on enjoying the process.

I sew fast because I sew with goals and have a personal goal of at least one quilt top every two months. Once my pieces are cut and ready for sewing, I make goals like...sew all four patches together. The next time I sit down to sew it is my goal to finish the next step and so on. I work full time and only get a few hours here and there to sew so I take full advantage of the previous time I squeeze in. I really enjoy sewing, but I love the feeling of finishing a top and dreaming about the next one. When I get around to quilting that's all I will do for a bit until I wear the top pile down to a manageable level.

Some measure themselves on how fast they can complete a quilt . I use what ever measurement makes me feel good.
    Yes there are times when I have been teased about needing to get a water cooled machine.. but thats after sewing many many strips and I am anxious to get onto the next step. There is a definate correlation between my boredom factor and how fast I sew. But I never sacrifice accuracy for speed.

It's all about the enjoyment, and that's an individual thing.
    I've never group-quilted. I truly enjoy the *me* time and quite honestly, I'm not a big people person.
    Also I think I would hate wagging around my machine, and all that goes with it.
    Having worked with the public for many years, I can't say I miss being around others.
    But now, this board....love, love, LOVE being a part of this family. Even if I'm sitting quietly in the corner much of the time

Quote Originally Posted by Tashana View Post
    Too bad you are not closer so that we can quilt together. I really enjoy the whole process. Although, i have to say that if somebody is extremely slow dwelling on a shade of gray thread for two hours i can get a bit antsy. The only thing I really try to rush are the chores so that I can go back to quilting.
    So when are we meeting up? At least you aren't 1000's of miles away... I really enjoy the whole the whole process of making quilts. I am making four of the same quilts for my staff. It is over a year in the making. They are QAYG, and since I'm getting tortured trying to put the first together, I'm getting frustrated. I put mine together, and will be taking it apart, ASAP.. Forget about the chores. Things can rot if I'm in quilt mode..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast