Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   speed quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/speed-quilting-t203244.html)

Neena 10-15-2012 05:08 AM

speed quilting

Does anyone piece/quilt with other quilters who "just want to get another quilt done"? I enjoy piecing and sometimes I do need to get a quilt done in a crunched timeframe but....have you ever had the issue of sewing with someone who doesn't seem to enjoy the journey just the finished project? Don't get me wrong, I love a good quick and easy quilt but I do not like to "mass produce"...I enjoy the entire process from picking fabric to the binding and labeling the label. Your thoughts?

QuiltnNan 10-15-2012 05:17 AM

i love the process, as well. however, when our charity group needs to get 'er done, i enjoy seeing it come together so fast with the help of so many hands.

Tashana 10-15-2012 05:18 AM

Too bad you are not closer so that we can quilt together. I really enjoy the whole process. Although, i have to say that if somebody is extremely slow dwelling on a shade of gray thread for two hours i can get a bit antsy. The only thing I really try to rush are the chores so that I can go back to quilting.

KalamaQuilts 10-15-2012 05:23 AM

If I were in a hurry I'd buy a $10.00 blanket. Quilting is my passion, not my job and I enjoy each step equally. Well...perhaps not the cutting :)

But I don't care what anyone else does.

Quilt-T 10-15-2012 05:23 AM

There is a lady who comes into the shop here who is a speed piecer. We have taken a couple of the same classes together and it always drove me nuts to hear the machine she used barreling @ 100 miles an hour. She really just loved getting the quilts done quickly and it wasn't always very pretty!! Then when she got her own Bernina, she drove that thing was she was on the autobahn or something-lol! I'm in a rut right now, but I truly love the joy of creating a quilt from choosing fabric until the binding gets on. The process is such a wonderful thing! You are not alone in thinking so!

joyce888 10-15-2012 05:33 AM

I also want to enjoy the process. I want to make quilts that look well thought out in pattern and fabric and look like they took a long time to make.

NJ Quilter 10-15-2012 05:39 AM

I'd love to sew with others. However, any time I've tried it (outside of a classroom setting, that is), we always end up doing more chatting than sewing. Not that it bothers me, just not overly productive. Most times I'm not in it for the speed but sometimes you have to rev up a bit when there's a deadline!

Neena 10-15-2012 06:03 AM

Totally agree!

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter (Post 5586884)
I'd love to sew with others. However, any time I've tried it (outside of a classroom setting, that is), we always end up doing more chatting than sewing. Not that it bothers me, just not overly productive. Most times I'm not in it for the speed but sometimes you have to rev up a bit when there's a deadline!

Pat625 10-15-2012 06:04 AM

I love the process..there are times I try to get the piecing done as quick as possible, but that is to get to my favorite part---the hand quilting!! Of course the planning is never rushed..I want to enjoy looking at the top as I quilt

quiltingweb 10-15-2012 06:07 AM

My daughter wanted me to make something for a teacher's grandson. He likes Thomas the Train. I found fleece with Thomas on it, some flannel for the back, doubled the batting and I was done in a few hours. Then I could get back to the "real" quilting. Sometimes, speed quilting serves a purpose. That little boy is going to love the trains and not care two hoots about how it was quilted or if my binding is perfect. Fast, slow, it's all good