Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   speed quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/speed-quilting-t203244.html)

P-BurgKay 10-17-2012 05:19 PM

The whole process from beginning is what it is all about. Right now I am recovering from surgery rotator cuff and know that I can not quilt for another 3 months, but that does not keep me from fondling my fabric for my next project. Keep enjoying the whole process. By the I mostly hand quilt, would not think of having someone else have the fun of doing the actual quilting.

carolaug 10-17-2012 05:37 PM

I am the same...and with all of the people I want to make quilts for..I do not like to have UFO's...drives me batty...I love making and giving my quilts away. I will work all weekend to get it done,,.i am now getting a vit sloer...work tends to get in the way.

Originally Posted by toodie11 (Post 5590239)
I may be a speed quilter because once i have all the planning done( which takes a while) I can hardly stop until it all comes together.

ShabbyTabby 10-17-2012 11:06 PM

My favorite in the whole process is the piecing. Cutting is hard for me with arthritis and a bad back; but oh I do love sitting at the machine and putting all those pretty pieces together and see it all come together. Gives me such a sense of pleasure to see a completed top. Now as to sandwiching and the finishing it's necessary to get the end results but if I were a rich woman, I would have someone else do the cutting, quilting and binding....Dream on....

ube quilting 10-18-2012 01:17 PM

I have a friend that does this with everything. It's like she is rushing to get life over with. Very sad, I think. It makes doing stuff with her, from birthday parties to trips to LQS very unpleasent. Just get it done. I can't live like that.

I truely enjoy the whole journey.
peace

EDIT: Forgot to add that I really like "Putz Quilting"

Carole Vaden 10-20-2012 02:07 PM

Very well said and I agree with you.

LadyElisabeth 10-20-2012 02:35 PM

I enjoy the whole process, but sometimes I need a quilt quickly. Then it's cut, sew, sandwich, quilt FAST.

sweetana3 10-20-2012 03:34 PM

I love to make quilts and I am very fast. I start out with one block and test the process and then figure out how to make it quicker and easier. I am organized and use a lot of chain piecing and paper piecing techniques. I am not going to change my way of doing it because someone else wants to go slow. I completely enjoy the whole process but I dont agonize over my decisions.

I once went to a needlework shop and had to stand around for 3 solid hours while a friend agonized over every decision. Never again. I have also spent hours and hours while long discussions of fabric went on. I drive myself now.

I remember one long arm teacher at the MQX show in Oregon. He went to his dealer and had his machine souped up to go almost 2X faster since he enjoyed working with a high speed machine and was very good with it. I would not dare tell him to slow down.

batikmystique 10-21-2012 09:17 AM

I was raised with the notion that "if something is worth doing, then it is worth doing well." I go at different paces when making a quilt depending upon the difficulty of the project. For me, it is done when it's done. I've taken classes where other quilters just run the fabric through so fast as if they were Evelyn Wood (speed reading teacher for those who may not be old enough to remember) students. Nine times out of ten their seam widths vary and don't match up. I just can't justify sacrificing quality for speed.