Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   speed quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/speed-quilting-t203244.html)

luana 10-15-2012 02:04 PM

This is such a good topic for discussion. I fit into both categories depending on the quilt I'm working on. Charity quilts get the "speedy me", and for others I am slow and deliberate. My observation is that people new to quilting tend to get discouraged because they cannot put tops together as fast as they thought they could. What a wonderful lesson it would be for them to hear our discussion on enjoying the process.

Jennifer 10-15-2012 03:39 PM

I sew fast because I sew with goals and have a personal goal of at least one quilt top every two months. Once my pieces are cut and ready for sewing, I make goals like...sew all four patches together. The next time I sit down to sew it is my goal to finish the next step and so on. I work full time and only get a few hours here and there to sew so I take full advantage of the previous time I squeeze in. I really enjoy sewing, but I love the feeling of finishing a top and dreaming about the next one. When I get around to quilting that's all I will do for a bit until I wear the top pile down to a manageable level.

Lori S 10-15-2012 03:53 PM

Some measure themselves on how fast they can complete a quilt . I use what ever measurement makes me feel good.
Yes there are times when I have been teased about needing to get a water cooled machine.. but thats after sewing many many strips and I am anxious to get onto the next step. There is a definate correlation between my boredom factor and how fast I sew. But I never sacrifice accuracy for speed.

alderdweller 10-15-2012 04:21 PM

It's all about the enjoyment, and that's an individual thing.
I've never group-quilted. I truly enjoy the *me* time and quite honestly, I'm not a big people person.
Also I think I would hate wagging around my machine, and all that goes with it.
Having worked with the public for many years, I can't say I miss being around others.
But now, this board....love, love, LOVE being a part of this family. Even if I'm sitting quietly in the corner much of the time :)

barri1 10-15-2012 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Tashana (Post 5586819)
Too bad you are not closer so that we can quilt together. I really enjoy the whole process. Although, i have to say that if somebody is extremely slow dwelling on a shade of gray thread for two hours i can get a bit antsy. The only thing I really try to rush are the chores so that I can go back to quilting.

So when are we meeting up? At least you aren't 1000's of miles away... I really enjoy the whole the whole process of making quilts. I am making four of the same quilts for my staff. It is over a year in the making. They are QAYG, and since I'm getting tortured trying to put the first together, I'm getting frustrated. I put mine together, and will be taking it apart, ASAP.. Forget about the chores. Things can rot if I'm in quilt mode..

QuiltnLady1 10-15-2012 05:00 PM

I am poky -- I try to make sure my cuts are accurate and for me that takes time. I try to make sure my seams are accurate and for me that takes time. I go to class and am the last one done (rarely finish a project in class). I love what goes into quilting. When I was younger I would do a marathon sew during vacation and make (or remake) as many as 3 outfits a day -- don't do that any more. I love the process and just work slow but steady to get to end.

susie-susie-susie 10-15-2012 05:15 PM

I took a class a few months ago, and one of the ladies had a machine that went faster than all the other machines in the class. I'm wondering if it was a commercial machine. If the class I'm taking has mostly beginners I am usually the first one done, but I never feel like it is a race. I enjoy every bit of the process, but the next project is usually calling me. I even like sewing on the binding.
Sue

KwiltyKahy 10-15-2012 05:19 PM

We had a saying in the 60s, "Different strokes for different folks" works for me.

Silver Needle 10-15-2012 07:49 PM

Sewing fast increases my stress level. The turtle did finish the race. Maybe it's my age 62 and proud of it. Doesn't bother me if others get more done. I piece and run our longarm quilting business at my own pace so I enjoy it. I'm proud of the work I do and our client's are happy, that's all that counts. Some people are process quilters and some are project quilters. I bet I know which ones are the favorite customers at LQS.

quiltmom04 10-16-2012 04:50 AM

I enjoy mostly all the process, too, but sometimes on a big quilt, I can get a little bored with the 500 HSTs or whatever, and just want to get it done. Plus, sewing fast doesn't mean I don't like to sew - I love it - I just don't see the need to drag it out. If I was only allowed to ever make one quilt in my lifetime, I might slow down and savor every minute step, but luckliy, there are always new projects to be done! I have a friend who has to endlessly audition fabrics and threads and patterns till I'm about ready to scream! Does that mean she likes to quilt more than me? Nope! I can just get more done than she does!