View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012, 10:06 AM
Farm Quilter

Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post
My question on bamboo being environmental friendly is, what is the difference between bamboo and cotton? Both are renewable resources. My understanding is bamboo takes a harsher chemical process to break down the wood fibers. Personally, I'm wondering if it is more an advertising gimmick?
Jane, you are right that while bamboo is renewable and at a very fast pace compared to cotton, the process used to turn bamboo into cloth/batting is, from everything I have read, not environmentally friendly. While I definitely would not describe myself as a tree-hugger, I don't deliberately set out to destroy the environment, that would not discourage me from using bamboo batting. Cost is what gets me! I quilted a customer quilt using her silk/bamboo batting and really love the hand of the batting and how it quilted...just way above my budget!

If you are looking for environmentally friendly batting, I do not think that at this time bamboo is the best choice - probably wool would be the most environmentally friendly!