Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batting for Quilts.. >

Batting for Quilts..

Batting for Quilts..

Old 10-16-2012, 04:39 PM

I'm new at quilting. My long-time friend and quilter told me Warm and Natural is wonderful. I went to Joannes yesterday with 50% and 40% off coupon in hand. Warm and Natural (white) is on sale for $7.99 yard...reg price $19 something. I didn't have to use my coupons and got a better deal..I'm happy. fyi
Old 10-16-2012, 05:45 PM

Purchase the best quality you can. I prefer Warm and Natural, although I make comforters too, and use a cheap Walmart polyester batt. For good hand and machine quilting, though, I use W&N. I have used it for years and am very very happy with what it does, how it looks, and the ease to get the results I want.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:31 PM

Another question about the batting.
Is it cheaper to buy it off the roll, or packaged? I tend to make queen sized quilts because it seems to be a popular bed size. I have gotten batting (W&N) for about $13.00 packaged. about $4.33 yard if my calculations are right. Is there a reason why I should be buying it off the roll instead?
Old 10-16-2012, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I always use wool batting. I love the warmth and thickness of wool. Cotton, to me, is so thin and doesn't warm you. Wool, on the other hand, can keep you toasty warm all by itself. So, I always buy wool batting. Always.

Glad to hear you like the wool. I am in the cutting process of an Apple Core throw and I want to use the wool. Is there a particular brand you use???

jody
Old 10-17-2012, 06:12 AM

Nancy's Notions has a book on all kinds of batting and I have found it useful.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Just Me... View Post
I prefer anything from Quilter's Dream. The kind of batting depends on the way it will be quilted and used. For example: a baby quilt will be washed a lot--I prefer a poly or poly blend for these (or the Dream Angel, which is flame-retardant). Poly has no memory, so it is good for wall quilts or quilts that will be folded up then re-hung. Good old-fashioned cotton is great if you want 'snuggly'.

Hand quilting? Then, you will want to choose a poly (lo-loft) or a wool batting. These are easier to needle.

There are so many things to consider when choosing your batting. Remember to read the package of the batting you are using for instructions on laundering and how densely your quilt needs to be quilted for optimum results.
Thanks for the tip. I had never heard of Quilter's Dream (as you can see by the number of postings I am new to this). It is a lot cheaper and glad to know it is so good.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by diamondee View Post
Another question about the batting.
Is it cheaper to buy it off the roll, or packaged? I tend to make queen sized quilts because it seems to be a popular bed size. I have gotten batting (W&N) for about $13.00 packaged. about $4.33 yard if my calculations are right. Is there a reason why I should be buying it off the roll instead?
I prefer to buy it, off the roll, because there are fewer creases and for me, less waste. I buy however many yards, then just cut what I need.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by patinpoconos View Post
I tried the new one from Pellon and found it to be my batting of choice now. I do prewash.
I just bought the Pellon batting and I have to ask. How do you prewash this batting? I do not want my quilt to shrink much and I am not familiar with this brand, as I have always purchased warm and natural. Do you machine or hand quilt? Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!