Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batting for Quilts.. >

Batting for Quilts..

Batting for Quilts..

Old 10-16-2012, 05:04 AM

I have just used a cotton bamboo 50/50 mix for a baby quilt. It was so wonderfully soft and easy to work with, and make a lovely quilt. I hope it holds up like the package said it would!
Old 10-16-2012, 05:13 AM
Power Poster

I use a variety. THe gent that I send my quilts to to get quilted encourages us to use poly when using a dark back as it can be poked through and that may not be the effect you want.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:22 AM

I tried the new one from Pellon and found it to be my batting of choice now. I do prewash.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:18 AM

My question on bamboo being environmental friendly is, what is the difference between bamboo and cotton? Both are renewable resources. My understanding is bamboo takes a harsher chemical process to break down the wood fibers. Personally, I'm wondering if it is more an advertising gimmick?
Old 10-16-2012, 08:42 AM

I love Warm and Natural for quilts, but if I am going a wall hanging, I use Thermore. It's a poly batting, that has a weird feel to it, but it quilts perfectly flat and no more waves in my wall hangings, which makes me very happy!
Old 10-16-2012, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Just Me... View Post
I prefer anything from Quilter's Dream. The kind of batting depends on the way it will be quilted and used. For example: a baby quilt will be washed a lot--I prefer a poly or poly blend for these (or the Dream Angel, which is flame-retardant). Poly has no memory, so it is good for wall quilts or quilts that will be folded up then re-hung. Good old-fashioned cotton is great if you want 'snuggly'.

Hand quilting? Then, you will want to choose a poly (lo-loft) or a wool batting. These are easier to needle.

There are so many things to consider when choosing your batting. Remember to read the package of the batting you are using for instructions on laundering and how densely your quilt needs to be quilted for optimum results.
I second Quilter's Dream is my favorite to quilt with, but I have been known to buy rolls of Warm-n-Natural and Warm-n-White at Joann's with a 50% off coupon! With batting almost $500 for a 40 yard roll, that 50% off really speaks to me!!! Too bad Joann's doesn't carry Quilter's Dream!!! Since I longarm quilt as a profession, I need to have quite a bit of batting on hand, so the outlay can get hefty! I know that Quilter's Dream will send you a sample of all their batting so you can choose what is right for your project - or you could probably pick up a sample at a large quilt show - great place to see and feel everything (just don't touch the quilts in the show!).
Old 10-16-2012, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post
My question on bamboo being environmental friendly is, what is the difference between bamboo and cotton? Both are renewable resources. My understanding is bamboo takes a harsher chemical process to break down the wood fibers. Personally, I'm wondering if it is more an advertising gimmick?
Jane, you are right that while bamboo is renewable and at a very fast pace compared to cotton, the process used to turn bamboo into cloth/batting is, from everything I have read, not environmentally friendly. While I definitely would not describe myself as a tree-hugger, I don't deliberately set out to destroy the environment, that would not discourage me from using bamboo batting. Cost is what gets me! I quilted a customer quilt using her silk/bamboo batting and really love the hand of the batting and how it quilted...just way above my budget!

If you are looking for environmentally friendly batting, I do not think that at this time bamboo is the best choice - probably wool would be the most environmentally friendly!
Old 10-16-2012, 10:12 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I always use wool batting. I love the warmth and thickness of wool. Cotton, to me, is so thin and doesn't warm you. Wool, on the other hand, can keep you toasty warm all by itself. So, I always buy wool batting. Always.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by patinpoconos View Post
I tried the new one from Pellon and found it to be my batting of choice now. I do prewash.
I'm glad you had a good experience with the Pellon batting but mine was the opposite - I don't prewash and it shed terribly. Decided it was better to pay a little more for Warm and Natural. Have started using Hobbs 80/20 as well after reading about it here - great for baby quilts!
Old 10-16-2012, 02:40 PM

I agree, I think it is soft you can wrap it around you and it is toasty warm and it does not weigh a ton.
Just my opinon. I just think a quilt shoud be able to be picked up and taken into your chair if you can't sleep in bed and wrap yourself in your nice warm light quilt. Just Saying!