Old 10-17-2012, 06:11 AM
leighway

Originally Posted by Deborahlees View Post
As I dear Mother would say...."six to one half dozen to the other"....meaning doesn't matter......
I am currently doing a mans lap quilt so I am using only tans, browns and black (my choice).....
I have also seen them done with 2 or 3 colors combinations, like red, green and white...... I personally
like a 3 color combo, I tend to do a lot of things in 'odd numbers' and prefer the look !!!!

What I like to do with all my 'string quilts' is do the center piece in a 1-1/2" black fabric....then when
I layout the squares I can play with the design of matching that center string.....into connecting diamonds.
I am almost done piecing this one, when I get the squares sewn together with take a pic and post...
I use deli paper for my foundation, and then just carefully rip it off when done....you can use muslin if you
so desire, I just find the deli paper cheap and easy.......I end up making a 11-3/4" square with my paper.....
With a scrapy quilt I just think it is important to have at least one strong solid, be it black or white, to pull all the colors into playing nicely with others
Can't wait to see a picture. I like the strong color inclusion and have seen neat secondary patterns come up with that.