Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
question about string or scrappy quilts in general? >

question about string or scrappy quilts in general?

question about string or scrappy quilts in general?

Old 10-17-2012, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees View Post
As I dear Mother would say...."six to one half dozen to the other"....meaning doesn't matter......
I am currently doing a mans lap quilt so I am using only tans, browns and black (my choice).....
I have also seen them done with 2 or 3 colors combinations, like red, green and white...... I personally
like a 3 color combo, I tend to do a lot of things in 'odd numbers' and prefer the look !!!!

What I like to do with all my 'string quilts' is do the center piece in a 1-1/2" black fabric....then when
I layout the squares I can play with the design of matching that center string.....into connecting diamonds.
I am almost done piecing this one, when I get the squares sewn together with take a pic and post...
I use deli paper for my foundation, and then just carefully rip it off when done....you can use muslin if you
so desire, I just find the deli paper cheap and easy.......I end up making a 11-3/4" square with my paper.....
With a scrapy quilt I just think it is important to have at least one strong solid, be it black or white, to pull all the colors into playing nicely with others
Can't wait to see a picture. I like the strong color inclusion and have seen neat secondary patterns come up with that.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
I toss all my scraps on the floor... back up about 6 ft... and what ever screams "get me out of here" gets tossed into a different pile ... sometimes I like that pile better.
I really like this way!!! Sounds like the way I like to do things...lol
Old 10-17-2012, 06:21 AM

I have done a few lap quilts where I did not worry about the fabric at all and they turned out to be some of mine (and my kids) favorites.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:17 AM

I make sure that I use them, for example, themes like Christmas, holidays, together and that colors don't clash. Other than that, anything goes, you would be surprised how lovely they turn out. I use muslin for the foundation or any thin material I have or find at thrift stores . I made one just sewing strips onto strips with no backing until I had miles of 2 1/2 strips and then cut to desired length and sewed strips to strips til I had the desired width.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:29 AM

I use everything, mix it all up....I love bright colors, but not glareing ones. Works for me.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:23 AM

My scrap stash was getting out of control so I have been making blocks and saving strips to make quilts that are truly scrappy from just the stuff left over no matter what the project. That way I have beach and outside use all the time quilts and those that I don't want used as hard would be of limited color schemes sort of thing. It really depends on what you want to do--clear out scraps or make a more formal quilt.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by sandyquilts View Post
I've done both. Check out http://www.maryquilts.com for all kinds of scrappy and strings.

what a great link, thanks!!!
Maire
Old 10-17-2012, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
I toss all my scraps on the floor... back up about 6 ft... and what ever screams "get me out of here" gets tossed into a different pile ... sometimes I like that pile better.
I love this response. It's pretty much the way I work, too. I never know what I like with what until I see it. Sometimes it's random and sometimes more controlled.

Either way, I have to stand back and be sure I like the combinations. An inexpensive peephole from the hardware store helps me to see what the combinations look like. A values finder (red plastic viewer) is good for getting contrast into your quilt.

I just found this blog that looks helpful: http://creeske.blogspot.com/2012/03/...or-quilts.html