View Single Post
Old 10-19-2012, 08:45 AM
sparkys_mom

Originally Posted by vjengels View Post
I wanted to make food for my 2 dogs, until I spoke with my Vet, his advice was the same as ' Sparkys Mom', you have to suppliment their diet with the correct mixture of nutrients & vitamims, so, I make the trainning treats for my dogs, mostly because I wanted something they wouldn't 'stick their noses up' at. It's easy really- pure`d raw liver, corn meal , flour raw garlic, eggs bake , cut up & refrigerate, you can't make them fast enough.
Speaking of treats - I thought I would share this recipe. It is not original with me but I've been using it for a long time.

Sparky's Favorite Liver Cake
1 lb. Liver, rinsed and drained
1 cup rice flour (rice flour is great for dogs with a corn or wheat allergy)
1 egg
1 garlic clove, minced (optional - my dogs have never had a problem with garlic)
1 handful minced fresh parsley
1 carrot, sliced.

Frosting (optional, but great for birthdays and other celebrations) 3 oz. Cream cheese 1 cup plain yogurt

Cover liver with water and simmer 5-10 minutes.
ln food processor, blend all ingredients. lt will be very dry and sticky. Spray a mini-bundt pan, a bread loaf pan, or an 8" cake pan with Pam so the cake will fall right out.
Bake at 350 for 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean and sides of cake fall away from the pan. Cool in pan.
lf frosting, cool completely, then ice cake and refrigerate until "party".

Special notes: I double this recipe for a six container bundt pan. For treats: I slice very thin and store in freezer.