Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to made dog food!

Banned

How to made dog food!

Every one know. that how to make Chinas food, Continantale food and various kind of food,
    but its my question to all , If any know how to make dog food and cat food. why we bought food from markete for our pets. if we make in our own hand fresh in best quality .I think its better than other.
    so its my question have there are any animal food sheff?

I do not make my own pet food for a variety of reasons. First is time. Second is that I want my dog to get the nutrients he requires and it is more than just throwing a handful of hamburger and rice into his bowl. I have purchased from www.FlintRiver.Com for many years. Their prices are good, their quality is good, and they have NEVER had a recall. They sell dog and cat food and you can purchase small samples if you want to see how your pet likes the food. My dog loves it.

Something else I really like is they deliver to my door. I never have to worry about running to the store or lugging in a 20 pound bag of kibble. Delivery is fast and is included in the price of the food. I am not associated with this company in any way other than being a loyal customer.
    Pat

I make my dogs food. There are many good recipies on the net. Be sure you give them a good vitamin if you are going to do this. I have a chichuahua, so it isnt too hard to feed her. I started doing this when she was a small puppy because of the grains and corn in the boughten food, She is 4 now and was at the vet just yeserday and is doing good. I do not feed raw. She rally likes boiled chicken, green beans, carrots and beets. She only eats 1/4 cup a day. She is soooo spoiled..

I use taste of the wild. No grain and no fillers.
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
    Susan

I wanted to make food for my 2 dogs, until I spoke with my Vet, his advice was the same as ' Sparkys Mom', you have to suppliment their diet with the correct mixture of nutrients & vitamims, so, I make the trainning treats for my dogs, mostly because I wanted something they wouldn't 'stick their noses up' at. It's easy really- pure`d raw liver, corn meal , flour raw garlic, eggs bake , cut up & refrigerate, you can't make them fast enough.
    she swims! she runs! She Quilts!?!?

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    Brie loves Halo brand dog food and Canyon Creek River brand dog foods; both are good for the dogs. A bit spendy but it will save her tummy and the vet bills. If it helps her to have a good quality of life-I am so there .. I make treats for her but I don't use garlic or onions as my vet said they were bad for the dog.
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

As you can see, I have an English Bulldog named Peaches. She is a rescue and I was warned her had multiple problems. The first I noticed immediately, she smelled!!!!! After a bath, she wasn't any better. Trip to the vet, no REAL answer. Started reading up and discovered some breeds have a real issue with yeast, aggravated by common dog food products. Switched her to Blue Buffalo and all her yeast problems have cleared up. Now if I could just get her weight down!! LOL, but she's hungry!!
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Blog Entries
    When I was growing up (a zillion years ago) there was no pet food or supplements commercially made and so our dogs and cats ate 'people' food, which was usually leftovers from our meals and included oat meal, rice, vegetables, and meat and occasionally got beef marrow bones for their teeth. We also gave them garlic to repel the fleas (no commercial products there either) and they lived long healthy lives. I'm not saying that we should go back to those days for feeding pets. Just saying. Jinnie
    Jinnie

Quote Originally Posted by vjengels View Post
    I wanted to make food for my 2 dogs, until I spoke with my Vet, his advice was the same as ' Sparkys Mom', you have to suppliment their diet with the correct mixture of nutrients & vitamims, so, I make the trainning treats for my dogs, mostly because I wanted something they wouldn't 'stick their noses up' at. It's easy really- pure`d raw liver, corn meal , flour raw garlic, eggs bake , cut up & refrigerate, you can't make them fast enough.
    Speaking of treats - I thought I would share this recipe. It is not original with me but I've been using it for a long time.

Sparky's Favorite Liver Cake
    1 lb. Liver, rinsed and drained
    1 cup rice flour (rice flour is great for dogs with a corn or wheat allergy)
    1 egg
    1 garlic clove, minced (optional - my dogs have never had a problem with garlic)
    1 handful minced fresh parsley
    1 carrot, sliced.

Frosting (optional, but great for birthdays and other celebrations) 3 oz. Cream cheese 1 cup plain yogurt

Cover liver with water and simmer 5-10 minutes.
    ln food processor, blend all ingredients. lt will be very dry and sticky. Spray a mini-bundt pan, a bread loaf pan, or an 8" cake pan with Pam so the cake will fall right out.
    Bake at 350 for 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean and sides of cake fall away from the pan. Cool in pan.
    lf frosting, cool completely, then ice cake and refrigerate until "party".

Special notes: I double this recipe for a six container bundt pan. For treats: I slice very thin and store in freezer.
    Pat

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by johin View Post
    Every one know. that how to make Chinas food, Continantale food and various kind of food,
    but its my question to all , If any know how to make dog food and cat food. why we bought food from markete for our pets. if we make in our own hand fresh in best quality .I think its better than other.
    so its my question have there are any animal food sheff?
    I make all my own dog food and have for almost two years...I have a schnauzer with severe allergies so I started making his food...When I found that it was almost cheaper to make it, I started to make food for my other schnauzer and my rottie and my chow mix breed. My Vet thought it was a great idea..It has helped the schnauzer a lot with his allergies and I have noticed that their coats are shinney and like silk.
    Two thirds meat....I also use egg and cottage cheese.
    one third veggies....I use green beans and carrots.....They must be blended in a food processer before adding them to the food....Dogs do not digest veggies well unless they are pureed...per my Vet.
    One third starch...I use oatmeal and brown rice...
    Flax seed oil and liquid multi-vit. is also added.
    The dogs love it and I feel better about what I feed them....

Susiequilt..Thats the dogfood (Taste Of the Wild) we came to realize is best for skin problems, and they love it..The only thing they do not like is the salmon..Can't imagine why..... That's MY favorite fish..

Blog Entries
    All our dogs are on a raw food diet. There are some groups on yahoo that have a lot of info on it.
    Stephanie in Mena

Blog Entries
    If we have salmon or tuna, I save the juice for Bess and put it in her Fit and Trim. We feed Bess basically the same as we did Bridget. Whatever we eat she gets her finger food (off our fingers). I found out you aren't supposed to give dogs grapes/raisins. Bridget ate them, we'd give her a raisin snack box all the time. She jumped for the grapes. She also lived to be 14 years 9 months and 8 days. So much for grapes. But we don't give them to Bess. If we have beef or chicken, we give her little bits with her dog food (very important to have nutrient-wise. Bess loves raw carrots, raw beans, vet says it's perfectly ok. Had a checkup and her rabies shot on Thursday. Bess is going to be 10 years old, can jump like a puppy, no hint of hip problems, she runs like the wind (when given the chance) and she is 84#. Big dog! Our gentle giant! I think it is what dogs like to eat. I like to remember that they once upon a time were wild and pulled the heads of rabbits and ate them! And so a raw carrot is not going to bother me - I don't know why, but a grape does. She likes a little taste of wine off the finger too. Keeps her heart a-pumpin'!!!! As long as you are happy, the dog is happy, everybody is happy! And isn't that what it's all about? Just keep them away from cooked chicken bones. I go zonkers when she gets one and I surprise myself at my adrenalin level when that happens because I have the strength of Goliath prying open her mouth. It's only happened twice. Oh yah, one more thing. Go to your handy dandy butcher and ask for a raw beef bone - a nice big one. We got two for Bess when we first got her and gave it to her raw. What meat or whatever was on the bone, we let her eat and then she would gnaw on the bone. That was almost ten years ago. She has the same two bones, they are grooved with her teeth marks. I mean nice neat deep grooves. My husband calls them her worry beads. If she gets anxious, she gets her bones and goes off and just gnaws to her heart's content. The only bad thing is don't walk on the living room floor at 2:00 AM in the dark and step on the blasted thing. Hurts like you know what!!!!!! Just a little thing on raw bones!!!!! Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

Blog Entries
    As does Susiequilt, I also use Taste of the Wild for both my dogs and cats and they did well on them.

There is a great recipe on allrecipes.com for dog/cat treats (yes, both, depending on how you shape them and how big) that is only wheat germ and a big jar of meat baby food. Stink up the house when you bake them but the critters LOVE them!!!!!
    Mistakes are just opportunities to invent a new quilting technique!

I make the recipe on the Dinovite site and order their supplements that I add to it. My pug has allergies and gets stones and bladder infections and since i've been feeding her homeade she hasn't had any problems. I was feeding her the Science Diet S/D as prescribed by the vet but just didn't feel it was right for her.

My neighbor's father was in the pet food business. I was amazed to hear about how much money was spent on research to ensure the product is nutritionally balanced and complete. I'm afraid I couldn't provide the same level of nutrition without supplements, and she doesn't like pills.

Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....
    I am glad this topic was started. I have been wondering lately ever since I took my nephews Boxer as he was unable to care for him properly anymore due to work schedule I have been wanting to find a good healthy dog food for him. He poops more than any dog I have ever had..... I have put him on Wellness but it does not seem to set well with him, and yes I did slowly adjust him to it. So I am not sure what to use next. Maybe the Wilderness or Innova. I also have an older dog who has hepatitis so I have to be careful with what she eats.
    Myrna

They say money does not buy happiness, but it buys fabric & fabric makes me happy!!

Blog Entries
    I would often boil some beef liver and mix it with commerical dry food. I did this on a weekly basis and kept the ground up liver in the fridge
    Create something beautiful from scraps.

Blog Entries
    miss priss, I sure would like to find out some of those recipe links, I also have chihuahua, he is very finniky, and doesn't eat the dog food I buy at the store. I only give people food as a treat. would appreciate some help with this. he is 7 months old.
    we don't meet people by accident.Everyone is meant to cross our path for a reason.

Blog Entries
    I did find some recipes, including the allrecipe. That looks like a lot of flour to use, and I thought garlic was not good for our pets...hey I also am willing to try, boil liver and mix it with the doggie food I have and see if he will eat it.

what about adding gravy to the dry food?? could someone tell me the yes or no on this? thanks.
    we don't meet people by accident.Everyone is meant to cross our path for a reason.

Blog Entries
    Apple Crunch Pup Cakes
    Dog Food Recipe Ingredients:
    • 2 3/4 cups water
    • 1/4 cup applesauce, unsweetened
    • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
    • 4 cups whole wheat flour
    • 1 cup dried apple chips ( you can also use fresh fruit)
    • 1 tablespoon baking powder
    • 1 egg, beaten slightly
    • 4 tablespoons honey
    Dog Food Recipe Directions:
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray muffin tin with cooling spray. Mix all wet
    ingredients thoroughly. Combine dry ingredients in separate bowl. Add wet to dry
    slowly , scraping well to make sure no dry mixture is left. Pour into muffin
    tins. Bake for 1 1/4 hours or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out
    dry. Store in a sealed container. Makes around 12-14 pupcakes.
    We hope your best friend enjoys

Blog Entries
    Archie Squares
    • 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
    • 1/2 cup powdered dry milk
    • 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
    • 1 tsp. brown sugar or honey
    • 6 tbs. meat or bacon drippings, cold right from refrigerator, not melted
    or soft!
    • 1 egg, slightly beaten
    • 1/2 cup Ice water
    Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly oil a cookie sheet. Combine flour, dry milk,
    garlic powder and sugar. Cut in meat drippings until mixture resembles corn
    meal. Mix in egg. Add enough water so that mixture forms a ball. Using your
    fingers, pat out dough onto cook sheet to 1/2" thick. Cut dough into squares
    appropriate for your dog size. Prick each cookie with fork. Bake 25-30 minutes.
    Remove from tray and cool on rack. Store in airtight container.

Blog Entries
    Alfie & Archie’s Garlic Flavored Dog Biscuits
    Yield: 1 batch
    • 2 1/2 c Flour, whole wheat
    • 1/2 c Powdered milk
    • 1/2 ts Salt
    • 1/2 ts Garlic powder
    • 1 ts Sugar, brown
    • 6 tb Meat drippings or
    margarine
    • 1 Eggs, beaten
    • 1/2 c Ice water
    Preheat oven to 350. Lightly
    oil a cookie sheet. Combine flour, powdered milk, salt, garlic powder and sugar.
    Cut in meat drippings until mixture resembles corn meal. Mix in egg. Add enough
    water so that mixture forms a ball. Using your fingers, pat out dough onto
    cookie sheet to half inch thick. Cut with cookie cutter or knife and remove
    scraps. Scraps can be formed again and baked. Bake 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from
    tray and cool on rack.

Blog Entries
    these were from Blue Buffalo website.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast