View Single Post
Old 10-19-2012, 03:52 PM
Tothill

Originally Posted by woody View Post
Thanks so much everyone, DD is so excited and says that no matter where she ends up going it will be fun ( I wish I could go too ) DD loves hiking, fishing and the outdoors, but although I would have thought Phoenix would have been great maybe it isn't the best place for a bunch of teenagers. I think the main reason she is a bit worried about going up north is that she would have to fill her suitcase with warm clothes (they are only allowed 1 suitcase with a 23kg /50lb weight limit) then she wouldn't have as much room for shopping LOL. Our winters here are usually from around -4 Celcius/24F to around 12 C / 53F during the day, so she is used to those kind of temperatures.
We won't find out her host family until December next year, but I hope there will be a quilter in the family so that she can take DD shopping for some quilt stuff for me LOL
Those are pretty much to temps in Seattle in winter. You need waterproof more than warm clothing in the Pacific Northwest. She would probably find that her host family would either have an extra waterproof jacket or umbrella she could use, if she chooses Seattle. If she has never been skiing and would have a chance to experience that head to Seattle. Most ski hills will rent snow wear. Even a day of tubing on the slopes is incredibly fun.

My choice for my teens would be San Francisco, mostly because we live close to Seattle, it is too much like home. The Cable Cars, Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz, the Piers, Ghiradeli Square, China Town and so much more.