Tourist advice needed

Old 10-20-2012, 07:16 AM

I love San Francisco. Down by the Wharf is Ghiradelli Square, and on the weekends, there are lots of street artists and craftsmen. If you get out of bed early enough, you may be lucky enough to score some almond croissants at a bakery. It doesn't matter too much which one, as the croissants are mostly supplied by one bakery, and they are awesome. But they sell out fast! You don't need a car in San Francisco, as the city is not that spread out and the public transport actually works. And don't get me started on the coffee! Wish I could be there again; it's my favorite get-away place.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:16 AM

San Diego is close to Disneyland and has a lot of fun things for young people, like Old Town, Sea World, the conservatory, the space museum, and the Zoo. In fact, the Wild Animal Park just outside of San Diego (owned by the Zoo) is very cool.

Seattle has a lot to do with the museums, the underground city tour, and Pike Place Market, but it would be dreary in January.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:20 AM

San Diego is my favorite but my number one tourist place is Alcatraz in San Fransico. I so enjoyed the indivdual tour with the head phones.It has been 23 years since I went there and still remember so many things. I think San Fransico has more sights to see than San Diego, but for relaxation I would pick San Diego. Hope she enjoys her visit. Take care.
Linda
Old 10-20-2012, 01:26 PM

Phoenix will be a great place to go in the winter time,it can get down right cold ,but no snow,if they wanted snow,Show Low or any place in the White mountains will fill that need,Phoenix has a great Zoo.and museums. Of course the Grand Canyon is here. and Tucson,where I live is only an hour and a half away,where Old Tucson is a world famous studio is(where lots of old movies and shows were made.Reid PArk Zoo, International wildlife Museum.Tucson Botanical gardens and in January the Quilt show.there are lots of things to do and see in Arizona, and winter is the best time of year to come
Old 10-20-2012, 02:55 PM

Valdosta GA is mostly known for I-75 (a major north-south interstate) going through it. No beaches, one small theme park and it's surrounded by lots of farmland and such. No nearby major cities or points of interest. It would be last on my list. I've been to Portland, San Diego and San Francisco. All would have a lot to offer. San Diego is close to the Mexico border so that could easily be a side trip from there. From what I know about Sacramento, it would probably be next-to-last on the list for a teenager. Let us know what she gets and we'll send our lists of "don't miss" places in that city!!!!
Old 10-20-2012, 07:12 PM

I grew up in san diego. it has lots, the zoo which is in balboa park which is full of museums and is beautiful. on a sunday they also have the house of nations. each little cottage represents its country and each one will do a show. you would have to check with the tourist information center for the info. sea world is a must see. old town is where san diego began. it has the whaley house that is haunted that can be toured. lots of delious mexican restarunts. my favorite was casa del sol. above the town is called pasidio park and has a mission there. i don't remember the hours but you can also tour that.( in the summer we would take big hunks of ice and sled down the hills on them.) then there is the bays and beaches. out of the cities listed san diego has more to offer in my opinion. the weather is great too and is not as cold as the other cities. sounds like the other trips are the must sees and they have that covered. up in the same area as knots there is also a wax museum and across the street there is ripplys believe it or not musuem. all of these places can be looked up on the computer if you want to know more about them.san diego also is closer to the other places she is going. so less travel time for example 1 1/2 hours to disneyland and knots compared to about 6 hours from san fransico. i have been to sacroment and san franisico and SD has much more. I hope your DD has a fun and safe trip. I'm sure it will be full of memories for her for years to come. HAVE FUN
Ps. balboa also has a mini railroad museum. the mini landscapes are really nice that they do with those.

Last edited by crtwelvecats; 10-20-2012 at 07:20 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:12 PM

I agree with the ones who said San Diego. They have wonderful weather year round. They will have nice weather, the San Diego Zoo is one of the best I have seen and the ocean is right there.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:42 PM

My choices would be Seattle Portland or Phoenix I think Seatthas a lot to offer but iy will rain a lot. Organ is a beautiful state and there are many things to do there Phoenix seldom gets below 32 degrees but if they want to experience snow Flagstaff isn't that fgar away I used to make that trip every week. All three cities have lots to offer
Old 10-26-2012, 06:22 PM

Personally, I'd take Portland or Seattle over any of the others, simply because they don't have as many people and traffic, although the weather may be chillier but it's not like it'll be -15 degrees. I think that they should have a say in what they want to see, maybe they can research the different sites and still make an informed(somewhat) decision. Best of luck.