Thread: Pics & Whine
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2009, 06:32 AM
weezie

Originally Posted by MaxineB
The colors are so vivid-he'll love the eye candy! I have a question. Will the embroidery go through the washer & dryer? I was thinking of something for my adult son, but it would get washed & dried a few times a year...at least! Maxine
Hi Maxine. This is only my opinion: I think the designs will hold up as well as any other part of the quilt over time and through repeated washing/drying.

To get the color mix I need, I often use both rayon and polyester threads in a design and cannot tell the difference between them. I read from other machine embroiderers that polyester has more endurance if there is to be a lot of future washing and drying. I wash a quilt in cold water, gentle cycle, just air fluff in the dryer, then hang it on the clothesline that I have strung across one end of my basement laundry room. To give plain sweatshirts a little pizzazz, I have sewn designs on them and I just wash them with the rest of the laundry (warm wash, cold rinse). To save wear and tear on our shirts and pants (and because I hate ironing clothes), I only semi-dry before I put them on hangers to finish drying on the above mentioned clothesline. I've had no problems so far with any designs being laundered.