View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012, 05:58 AM
Geri B

Originally Posted by llong0233 View Post
I think I have this right: cut 2 1/2 " strip. Don't iron in half. Just lay the open 2 1/2" strip on the quilt edge and sew it on with the usual 1/4" seam allowance. Then...we turn the quilt over, fold the binding over the the edge, tuck under the raw edge of the binding and sew? What didn't I think of that? It sounds like it makes a cleaner edge and sews on evenly! Thanks.
I am just guessing here as I have not gone thru all the pages of responses...

Some seem to talking about single fold binding, the kind purchased in packages, for example, or what I know as French Fold binding.....2 1/2" or 2 1/4" wof strip, folded in half (ironed), then sewed onto front of quilt edge by machine, corners mitered, then folded over and hand done on back, finishing the miters.

I always use the FF binding for bed quilts....reason being, the binding edges of bed quilts take a lot of beating and the double fabric is stronger. I think the history of this practice is something like......the edges used to get caught in the metal springs and the double fabric tended not to rip as easily. If the bed quilt has a curvy edge, then I cut those wof on the bias to get a smooth finish.

The single fold is good for quilted pieces that are more decorative than utility--wallhangings, tablerunners, placemats, etc.........and if curvy then bias cut otherwise wof is what I do. But that single fold is cut at a thinner width to begin with. Just what I have done over the years........