Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I didn't press my binding

I didn't press my binding

Somewhere i read a post that said someone didn't press their binding before sewing it on. I tried it...it's my best binding ever. I machine sewed the binding on the back with a quarter inch seam. Flipped it to the front, folded it over and under to the front, then machine stitchedon the front. My mitered corners are neat and tidy. This is my new method...i actually enjoyed sewing on a binding!

Blog Entries
    It might have been one of my posts - I fully believe your bindings will lay better if you don't press them first. This allows the fabric to shift across the width (not length) and lay flatter when you sew. Plus it's less work!

I'm glad it worked for you!

Power Poster
    Will have to try this.

Blog Entries
    I agree! I stopped ironing that middle crease in them and they go on so much flatter and easier.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

I have never heard of this!! I will have to try!

Ok I'm confused. I cut my binding at 2 1/2" and iron it in 1/2 the machine sew it to the front and hand sew it to the back. What am I doing different?

Diannia
    I am too blessed to be stressed and too anointed to be disappointed!

I'd like a little tutorial also. I'm all for what ever makes binidng go on better.

Very interesting.. I will also be watching..

Judy in Phx, AZ

Well waddaya know! I'm surely going to give this a try (although I'm one of the few who enjoys ironing!)

I didn't press at all. Just cut the binding and sewed as usual, except there is no center crease. I had no stretching and it lays perfectly flat as i stitched. Thanks to Peggi...i'm never going back!

Blog Entries
    Hey Peckish! I think you were the poster of that tip and I have used it ever since seeing it. Thanks so much for the great information on binding.

peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

I'm so confused!! You mean you cut the binding as usual, and then rather than pressing it in half, you just fold it in half as you're sewing it on??
    -Chris-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Blessed are the children of quilters, for they shall inherit the quilts....

It does not do well, Harry, to dwell on the dreams....and forget to live. - Albus Dumbledore

I lay it flat on the back, right side down and stitch it on a quarter inch from the edge of the quilt. Then flip it to the front and fold under as i go . It works beatifully...and yep, Peckish is the bomb!

Do you press it before you hand stitch it?

JoC...that's how I do my bindings now...seem to look better when I flip from back to front
    If you don't work on it you'll never finish it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mucky View Post
    Do you press it before you hand stitch it?
    Nope! I just turn it under the width that I want to and line it up with my machine stitching line from the front and away I go!
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

huh, I never heard of this before. I am so trying this on my next quilt to see how it works. Thanks for sharing.
    enjoy your life...it's the only one you have!!!
    Heather

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spokanequilter View Post
    I'm so confused!! You mean you cut the binding as usual, and then rather than pressing it in half, you just fold it in half as you're sewing it on??
    Yep. No pressing. Cut as usual, align raw edges of binding with quilt, machine stitch on front as usual. Fold over batting, hand stitch on back.

The theory is that when you iron it flat and then fold it over, the inner layer of binding fabric bunches up inside. Kind of like running around a track - the inner track lane is shorter than the outer track lane. So, by NOT ironing it, you allow the fabric to adjust evenly and it doesn't bunch up.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jo C View Post
    Peckish is the bomb!
    Awww shucks.... just passing along information someone else taught me quite a while ago... I'm glad y'all have found it so helpful.

I confuse easily also, so you align just one edge of the binding to the quilt, then fold it in half and stitch it down on the other side? I understand what you are saying about the track and it makes sense.

Well, I'll be darned. I'm another who's going to try this. Geez, you never stop learning!
    Maureen

Blog Entries
    I never press binding...........I always sew it on the back first, then flip it to the front, and sew it down with a cute decorative stitch.........I havent had any problem doing it this way. I use 2 1/2 or 3 inch width.
    Judy, retired RN, alias 4 dogs and in the mountains of western North Carolina.

Someday you will be a memory - try to make it a good one .

joy
    I cut my binding 2 and a half inches... fold over... then sew, from the front, to the quilt by machine... then fold over to the back and handstitch down.... makes a lovely job... mitred corners are a must too...
    joy...

Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    It might have been one of my posts - I fully believe your bindings will lay better if you don't press them first. This allows the fabric to shift across the width (not length) and lay flatter when you sew. Plus it's less work!

I'm glad it worked for you!
    Would this work with Sharon Schamber's method of gluing the binding to the quilt before stitching it down. I kind of liked the gluing method but I'm not so fond of standing there ironing binding in half.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by charity-crafter View Post
    I confuse easily also, so you align just one edge of the binding to the quilt, then fold it in half and stitch it down on the other side? I understand what you are saying about the track and it makes sense.
    That is exactly how I am doing it right now. I align the edge of the binding to the front, sewed it on. Now I am flipping it to the back. I am lining up the raw edge to the seam line on the front and and then rolling it to the back and hand stitching it in place. I tried to take pictures to show you but I am doing a dark red binding and my thread matched perfectly so the pictures are not coming out very well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast