Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: I didn't press my binding

Is it harder to align the binding to the edge of the quilt without the crease? I'm still trying to wrap my mind around this.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey1 View Post
    Is it harder to align the binding to the edge of the quilt without the crease? I'm still trying to wrap my mind around this.
    Not at all. It is just like sewing two strips together!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Blog Entries
    Me too. So do we fold it together (and just not press it) first, so that both raw edges of the binding are being sewn on or do we not fold it together first and only sew on a single raw edge on first. Sorry for the confusion!

Blog Entries
    You do everything exactly as you would normally do, you just skip the ironing step.

Blog Entries
    LOL omg it's gotta be way past my bedtime. I think I understand but not sure...thinking I'm confused. Maybe in the morning it all be clear....but hey sounds easy to do....thanks bunches

I am going to try this! My bindings look.. "okay"... but get that weird bunching especially at the end. This sounds so much easier.

I've never pressed my binding. I guess it's because no one ever told me that's what I should do.

I have been doing it this way for a while. There is a tutorial from a well known quilter - don't remember who! Try it.

I have always pressed my bindings in half; if I sew it on the back and machine sew on the front, or if I sew it on the front and stitch-in-the-ditch (SITD) from the front or hand stitch on the back. My bindings never "bunch up", so I don't understand that. Binding fabric is so thin that I don't see how there can be a problem. I have had the problem a few times that the binding didn't stay flat...the top layer seemed to have more fabric than the bottom. I solved this by giving a little stretch to the binding as I sew it on. That way you also don't get wavy edges either. The binding is nice and snug.

There is a tutorial www.aliciasattic.com Marci Baker shows this method. It is wonderful and the method she uses to join the two ends is fantastic. Since I viewed this tutorial I have been using this method and love the results.

I am so glad to see this post... I am a complete self taught quilter. So from the start, I have never ironed my binding (happily because I hate to iron), but then saw all the posts on here about it...and was always to chicken to say I never did. ha ha ha I have noticed my bindings are better with my own fabric use...then it was with store bought binding.
    Faye

Quote Originally Posted by charity-crafter View Post
    I confuse easily also, so you align just one edge of the binding to the quilt, then fold it in half and stitch it down on the other side? I understand what you are saying about the track and it makes sense.
    I'm not sure, but if I'm reading this right, we're talking about two different methods here. Peckish does everything as usual except ironing ( fold in half, stitch to front, hand sew on the back). Jo C on the other hand sews only one layer, sews it on the back, flips to front and folds under as she machine sews it to the front.
    Peace is one of His greatest gifts.

Quote Originally Posted by lisalovesquilting View Post
    I'm not sure, but if I'm reading this right, we're talking about two different methods here. Peckish does everything as usual except ironing ( fold in half, stitch to front, hand sew on the back). Jo C on the other hand sews only one layer, sews it on the back, flips to front and folds under as she machine sews it to the front.

I noticed that. Peckish posted pictures so that helped.

I've always ironed, but will try this because it would certainly cut down on time. Thanks
    Peace is one of His greatest gifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jo C View Post
    I didn't press at all. Just cut the binding and sewed as usual, except there is no center crease. I had no stretching and it lays perfectly flat as i stitched. Thanks to Peggi...i'm never going back!
    I don't press my binding anymore either. It works much better.

I read this also, probably on here, & it works beautifully!!! I''ve done it this way the last several times. Thanks for all the good info posted on here. This is the first thing I look each morning!

Quote Originally Posted by lisalovesquilting View Post
    took the words right out of my mouth, that's what's causing some confusion, it's two DIFFERENT methods

Exactly! I didn't mean to confuse anyone with the one layer vs, two layers. I guess because i machine sew the front and Peckish hand sews...it works better for me to sew one Layer on the back then flip and fold to the front. But either way, the no pressing is gonna be my go-to method. BTW i watched the video from Alycia's Attic on joining the binding ends...it's excellent!

Wow, less work & it seems to work more efficiently. What is there not to like. Tks Peggi for the tip. A must try for sure.
    Dance like no one is watching

Quote Originally Posted by raksmum View Post
    Me too. So do we fold it together (and just not press it) first, so that both raw edges of the binding are being sewn on or do we not fold it together first and only sew on a single raw edge on first. Sorry for the confusion!
    This is exactly my question while reading this.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    You do everything exactly as you would normally do, you just skip the ironing step.
    Thanks Peckish! I will be doing this on my next binding for sure!

I think I have this right: cut 2 1/2 " strip. Don't iron in half. Just lay the open 2 1/2" strip on the quilt edge and sew it on with the usual 1/4" seam allowance. Then...we turn the quilt over, fold the binding over the the edge, tuck under the raw edge of the binding and sew? What didn't I think of that? It sounds like it makes a cleaner edge and sews on evenly! Thanks.
    Quilting Makes Me Happy...

Thats how i did it!

I use a combination of these methods and do not press. I cut my binding 2 1/2" wide, fold it it half lengthwise and pin it as I go one or two feet at a time stitching it on the back of the quilt. As I finish stitching one section of folded over and pinned binding, I fold some more and pin again until I get to the end of the quilt. I join the tails and then flip the already double layered stitched binding to the front and stitch it down with a straight or decorative stitch as the mood strikes me, mitering the corners as I come to them. I can bind a King sized quilt in an hour or so using this method and the binding is straight, flat, even, secure, long wearing and best of all easy and quick!
    Shelbie from the High County in Southern Ontario

I always iron my binding in half. I cut my binding 2 1/2 inches and sew it to the back. Then when I get to the corners I iron them down in a pretty miter. Use my clover clips in 3 places. In the middle of the corner and then one on each side about 4 inches out.

Then if I've used the piped method I'll stitch in the ditch up against the outer binding. But I never pin the entire binding down. Never have a problem with it bunching up at the end.

I love the way it looks crisp and lays so flat.
    Gold and Silver are made purer and stronger by Fire.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast