View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012, 05:20 PM
Pollytink

Originally Posted by patdesign View Post
If your machine is a low shank, there is a vintage foot called a gauge presser foot, it will adjust to what size you want, I got mine on ebay for about $40, worth every penny.
I'm going to try to respond to several posts in one so bear with me! I sew mostly on vintage Necchi machines and you can't move the needle. If you've seen April1930s (I think that's right) pages and store on ebay, you've seen the Singer gauge foot for sale at big bucks. I was able to get some from the Necchi warehouse before my source left, for the high shank Necchis and have them for sale. I'll try to post them in that forum this weekend, with pics....for about $26-27. Truthfully, I haven't tried one for this yet but that's why I wanted one....for piecing. If you look at April's web site, she has a demo page for the gauge foot.

I ran into a problem with the scant 1/4" when I was trying to make blocks for a swap on a sm list I'm on. The blocks had to finish at a certain size because of the swapping, not like you were making them all for your own quilt. I could NOT get the darned thing right and finally gave up, deciding I'd just make my own little quilt! For that one I was sewing on a Singer 201 treadle. At that time, I got some of the Qtools Sewing Edge from Alicia's Attic but by then I'd given up so haven't tried them yet. Last spring I wanted a blanket stitch for applique so got the Brother CS6000i but haven't used it a lot so it's good to know I can change the needle position on it....will try that out! And re Aurifil 50 thread....have wanted to get that too so will definitely now to see if it helps.

When we had to use the scant 1/4" for that swap, I had never heard of it before and it was a bit bewildering! Do I understand right that so long as your seams are consistent, 1/4" instead of a scant wouldn't mess up the pattern? at this point I don't know if I ever want to try one again!