View Single Post
Old 10-27-2012, 03:07 PM
ging10ging

I live in Fl. now but am from RI so I know what to expect. If you are on an island don't take a chance and stay there the tides are already higher than usual and there will be two of them before the storm is out of the area.'When I lived in RI we had 52" of snow one storm and the state was crippled for a wk or more so try to get some food that doesn't have to be refridgerated. We had gas heat so we could cook and had heat but if the power is off get some afghans or blankets handy and something to keep busy with to pass the time until it's time to shovel.
We were here for Hurricane Charley Cat 4 but a smaller area storm but like a bomb wind wise. We was really lucky that there was not much to speak of storm surge but you really don't want to be on a barrier island they can't help you and with the tides high it's not a good idea. Remember the power goes off and your alone so take care don't take chances it's not worth it. Remember things can be replaced lives cannot.
I will pray for you all that things are not as bad as they say but they had warnings for Katrina and people didn't listen and I think we all heard what happened there. Flooding is worse than snow until it starts to melt. Just do what they tell you and you s/b safe. We listened one time and ran away for a hurricane which turned at the last min but how do you know what'll happen. Charley wasn't supposed to hit us until the last min it turned and we had two elderly aunts at our house it was supposed to be safer and then we had to run to a shelter in case one of them would have needed help. Prayers and hugs to all. Take care. Sue