Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Sandy anyone?

Hurricane Sandy anyone?

This huge storm is heading up the East Coast. This is scary. I am in Eastern New York and they are saying it is the first time they have seen a hurricane in the middle of a Nor'East'r. I don't know what to expect but they are saying we may get lots of snow, strong winds and they expect millions to lose power. It could even effect us not being able to vote if the power is out for weeks. I am praying everyone along the coast will be fine.

Any other East Coasters here?
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

Please stay safe! East coasters!

I will be praying for all of you, keep safe.

Blog Entries
    I live in Dallas, so I just want to tell everyone on the coast to get ready to hunker down. Stay safe. I hope it will go on out to sea.

It is good to be prepared, but I have little faith in the forecasters. I did a wash this AM because it said sunny all day. It was overcast all morning and JUST cleared up. They do not know what the hurricane will do, they are notoriously unpredictable. If there is 1% chance of a big storm, that is ALL they will talk about for days.

I have spent enough time watching the Weather Channel folks in all their storm gear, standing in a heavy mist, explaining how this was "supposed" to be the storm of the century.

I am praying that the East coast does not get as hard hit as predicted. You folks back East batten down the hatches and keep safe. That sounds terrifying -- a hurricane, the jet stream and a nor'easter.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

So you know how it's predicted at this route as of 10AM this morning?

Do you see that little red dot on the map? Near the top-middle?

I put that there.

That's my house.

On an island.

:P

Jennalyn, Stay safe.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

Be safe...In 2004, we were in our house in St. James City, FL). Storm was a CAT2 so we decided not to leave our home..later changed to a CAT4. God certainly protected us. We survived with very little damage. Without power and water for a week.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennalyn View Post
    So you know how it's predicted at this route as of 10AM this morning?

Do you see that little red dot on the map? Near the top-middle?

I put that there.

That's my house.

On an island.

:P

If you are the "red dot" and on an island, I'll bet they ask you to evacuate! I would pay attention. If your bridge that lets you in and out gets damaged, you could be in trouble. A hotel for a day or two is much nicer!

right now it looks like we will be on the edge but with lots of heavy wind and rain Sun night through Wed.
    hope everyone stays safe.

Blog Entries
    I live in Long Beach, NY -- which is a city on a sandbar on the Atlantic. Nothing to the south of us but ocean until you get to Cuba. We evacuated for Irene, but we're staying put this time. God help us all.
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

I'm in southeast PA & as of this a.m. in a direct path when the storm comes on shore. They are saying 10" of rain starting tomorrow. The worst part with the high winds & downpours will probably at nite on Monday. I hate nor easter storms as everything comes to the front of my house. I am hoping it will be rain & not snow. We most certainly will lose power as the trees still have leaves & many will uproot.

Blog Entries
    We had strong wind gusts here in Central FL yesterday, but no rain (which we could use). Buy water, batteries, and if the power goes out, don't open the refrigerator unless you absolutely, positively have to. We keep a cooler with ice in it for things like butter and milk so we don't have to open the refrigerator. Let us know how you're doing, if you have power. Stay safe.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Yep, here in central NJ, one prediction said we'd be a direct hit for it all. Hopefully they'll change that, but all you can do is get prepared and ride it out. Good luck everyone.

Yesterday it was 200 miles off the coast of my town in FL. We got rain and wind but no damage at my place.

Nor' easters, batten down and check in with us afterwards. Prayers going out to ya'll. I know you aren't used to hurricanes.
    Grandma of 5 beautiful grand kids, 4 crazy cats & 1 dog!

Everyone be safe.
    in west central pa, hoping we dont get too much wind. we have a generator so electric should be ok for a while.An island in MD how cool is that.
    Darlene

Prepare for the worse and maybe God will spare you. Will say a prayer for all of you. Have been through dozens of these storms in LA. Some were not so bad, but some were doozies such as Katrina, Gustav, Rita, Hilda, Betsy, etc. Good luck and God bless all of you. Remember property can be replaced, lives can't so go to higher ground and hunker down.

It's time to prepare for what you might need. Stay safe all.

The storm isn't here yet but we've been without hot water in our home for going on three weeks. We had to order a new tankless water heater and it wasn't in stock at Home Depot..so that is what has been taking SO long. It is suppose to be here today but installation is tentatively scheduled for Tuesday. But if we do get hit with the storm and have power outages I doubt that will happen this week.

We've been going to my sweet 85 yr. old Mother's to shower so that's been a blessing. We do have cold water so I just boil water and use that to wash dishes. But it will be nice to get back to "normal" again.

Super Member Luv Quilts and Cats's Avatar
    I'm in New Hampshire about 45 miles inland. We are expecting lots of rain and wind. Hopefully we will not lose power.
    Luv Quilts and Cats
    Never underestimate the healing effects of beauty. - Florence Nightingale

Quote Originally Posted by Bamagal View Post
    If you are the "red dot" and on an island, I'll bet they ask you to evacuate! I would pay attention. If your bridge that lets you in and out gets damaged, you could be in trouble. A hotel for a day or two is much nicer!
    Bamagal please stay safe. Also everyone else in its way. May God be with and watch over each and every one of you

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Stay safe everyone..

We have had winds and some rain, but not much. My hope is that the poor weather people that get so excited when bad weather (who creates weather?) may be coming are overreacting . Good to let us know there is potentially bad weather so we came prepare, but they do get so excited. You all have time to prepare. Do not take chances. May no one be with out electricity for too long to keep them from their machines!
    "Only those who know enough is enough can ever have enough." Lao Tzu

Blog Entries
    As a native of FL in the gulf coast area, the best advise is to be OVER prepared! As the old saying goes, better to be safe than sorry. Having gone thru many hurricanes, I think the one thing that no one is really prepared for is the lost of power for long period of time. No power effects everything and we are so used to having conveniences of life we forget how to survive without those things. No power means, no gas pumps so fill your car, no atm's to get cash or to run charges on debit cards. Freeze milk jugs of water now to help keep food in fridge/freezers/coolers cold, then you can drink water as it melts. Solid ice melts slower than ice cubes. Don't forget your pets! They feel pressure changes before people do and they don't understand what's happening. Take advice to leave low lying areas if you live in places that can flood or area where bridges are closed for safety sakes. To many people wait out the storm and then call for rescues because they thought they would be"fine". That only puts others at risk trying to save your life. OR you may be stranded from mainland for some time. My prayers go out to all in the path of this storm. Hopefully it wil change course and not be as severe as expected. But whatever happens, be safe!
    Lisa B in NC
    Quilting is my Happy Thought!
    http://www.quiltingkrazy.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast