View Single Post
Old 11-03-2012, 05:50 AM
luvstoquilt

I love the library, too. While living in NJ I was on the board of my local library and I loved being part of that group. Now in Illinois, I am in a group called "Friends of the Library" and this group does a lot of volunteer work for the library. We have an annual book sale..books are donated from people in our area all year long. We sort them and then have a large sale..we usually make several thousand dollars which is used for different things at the library. Some of the things we have sponsored are summer reading programs for children and adults (if the children read the required number of books they received a star for their yard..they loved it), subscribed to Wall St. Journal for the library, subscribed to E-books, subscribed for the license to show movies at the library, paid for programs of interest which are available to the public, and we are available to help the librarians as needed. It is definitely a worthwhile group. You might want to check to see if there is a group like that at your local library. We only meet once a month but we are around to help a lot. Currently, we are beginning to work on our 100 year anniversary and we are scanning the archives for any and all publicity. It is amazing what a few can accomplish.