Old 11-03-2012, 10:54 AM
SharonAnne

Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm View Post
Hi All,
I am collecting quilts for Krystyna to distribute to her community. I live about 30 miles from Long Beach. My first adult home was there, 3 blocks from the beach. My family is safe in NYC but the losses for others is great. I have a lovely quilt from Boom 6 I can spare. I can put together some tops I made of the Mystery Ride. If you can join this collection, pm please. I think 2 groups are also making Krystyna personal quilts. Quilters rock! Stay safe, Dotty
Dotty,

Thank goodness you and yours are safe. My DD/SIL/DGKS in NJ and DS in DE are all safe, but DD is without power. To date nothing has been done in her neighborhood and there is no power, water, food, etc. Gratefully, they have moved in with her in-laws in NJ who have a generator. She is working hard as an RN at a local hospital and says that the ER is constantly full, as are the operating rooms. Still, my kids' houses were spared damage and flooding. My heart goes out to Krystyna. There is a note as to where to send donations (checks) to her, but I'm not sure if we should trust the mail service yet, and can she even cash checks anyway. My boss's husband suffered smoke inhalation on LI when his house caught fire and ended up in the hospital. Talk about pitiful - his wallet was stolen and it HAD to have been by one of the first responders. He was to have left for CA (moving here) last Wed. Obviously that has been postponed - house is uninhabitable for the time being. This is so heartbreaking - I know lots of people in NJ and Long Island, having lived in both places. Cannot get past the choked up feeling for all of them.