View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012, 12:51 PM
Sunshinemom

Default Introducing myself

Hello, my name is Lesa and I am very new to vintage sewing machines. In fact, I was never even taught how to sew. I got my first sewing machine when my daughter was born in hopes to learn how to make things for her. I have made tons of clothes and was working on a baby carrier for a friend when my great dane got spooked and ran through jerking my Singer off the table and shattering to the floor. I had to get the carrier done, but I didn't want to buy another basic sewing machine. I also did not have the money for the sewing machine I wanted. My mother had given me her grandmothers sewing machine/cabinet, but we had been using it as an end table. My mom told me she didn't even think it worked. I started cleaning all the stuff out of the cabinet and I honestly did not even know I had a treadle sewing machine until all my mother's old things were out. I googled and youtubed for a few days trying to figure out how to clean, oil, and thread my machine. Whoever used it last left me a full bobbin of thread that was in surprisingly good shape. I decided to jump in and try it out and it worked!!! I called my mom to tell her about my adventures and to ask her who the last person to use it was. My mom started to sob. Her mom used it right before she died to make an outfit for me. I immediately knew I had to make something for my mom with the thread my grandmother left behind. I am currently in the process of making her my first quilt with the thread. Man did I fool myself thinking a quilt would be easy! I'm pushing through though, and hope to have it done for Christmas. I do not know anyone who sews, especially on a treadle so look forward to lost of questions from me!