Old 11-04-2012, 01:16 PM
Debbie C

Thank you, Needles. I have immediate family in Florida (Orlando and Holiday) and I always worry whenever they're in a storm's path. 'Sandy' left devastation beyond belief. Including my home town of Port Jefferson and where I now live in Mastic Beach. It is what it is....just deal with the aftermath. Lights and power will eventually be restored. Be a good neighbor. I'm fully restored now, but my back-door neighbors have not been so lucky. I've made soups and stews, offered to charge cell phones and have invited them to come in for a shower and an evening in front of television. It is the LEAST I can do. I spent the better part of my Sunday volunteering at the local nutrition center sorting and handing out bags full of non-perishable foods, baby items, dog/cat food....the list goes on. The donations that came through those doors today has more than humbled me. I had an emotionally moving day today - one I will always remember. By the way, today is my uncle's 98th birthday. I just called his cell phone and sang to him.
Originally Posted by Needles View Post
Sorry for your family Debbie, it's so hard to recover from devastation, especially when one is up in years. Can bring on a serious 'give up' situation. At least when FL gets hit, we don't have to deal with cold temps. We were out 5 days of power once, nearly croaked from the 95 degree temps and the extremely high humidity from all the rain. Can deal with that more than cold. I hope power gets restored in the needed areas soon/