View Single Post
Old 11-07-2012, 02:44 PM
J Miller

Default Need some quilting help.

I know this isn't the quilting section, but I am using a vintage machine

I've mentioned a couple times that I'm making a quilt for each of my aunts using my moms HOTHER. I've got the top done on one and 75% done on the other. When the tops are done then we'll put together the batting and backing for both since they are the same size. So once finished I want to quilt them with the HOTHER also. This might be easier said than done.

Last night to test the 15-91 I made a small quilt, put batting in it and muslin on the back side. Today using the Alpha Sew walking foot for straight stitch feet I used the HOTHER to try and quilt it.
Didn't work so good. Unlike the other walking foots I have this one just doesn't seem to want to pull the top with the bottom. And when it hits a seam or a lump it just stalls. I had better luck using the ZZ walking foot on my 66 treadle machine.

So, I removed the WF and tried an old fashioned solid quilting foot. That helped some, but it schootched the top layer to the point it wadded it up on the end. Scratch that.

Now what can I do? I want to use the HOTHER, it's a personal thing. But not being an experienced quilter I'm at a loss of what to try next. This small quilt was made just for this so if I have to rip all the quilting out and try something else, no big deal.

So those that use their vintage machines to quilt with, any suggestions?

Joe