Old 11-10-2012, 10:32 AM
oregongirl

love love love the herd of machines!! too cute!

FWIW, on the kitties - the creatinine can be elevated just because they are dehydrated. my diabetic kitty (has acromegaly) has the beginnings of chronic renal failure (kidney disease) and we were able to turn around all of the important lab results by putting him on a low-phosphorus diet. a blood check 3 months after switching the food showed all of the relevant lab #s were back into normal range. i've learned more than i ever wanted to know about kitty health after 2 years of dealing with his stuff!

the best site out there to get cat health info is operated by a vet: http://www.catinfo.org She just updated the list of phosphorus values for cat food within the past couple of months. we have to have low-carb for the diabetes as well - so i feed him 2 cat foods that are both low carb & low phosphorus: Merrick's Before Grain Beef (bought at an independent pet store) and Friskies Senior Diet (also called Special Diet) Turkey & Giblets pate (available in grocery stores).

you might be able to help your kitters be healthy a little longer with the switch to low phosphorus canned food. you don't need expensive prescription food to do it, either, and you especially don't want a dry food. if you want more info on any of this, send me a message and i'd be glad to help. my expertise is in the acromegaly and diabetes, but i've learned about other cat health stuff along the way.