View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012, 12:18 PM
jrhboxers

Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post
As you can see, I have an English Bulldog named Peaches. She is a rescue and I was warned her had multiple problems. The first I noticed immediately, she smelled!!!!! After a bath, she wasn't any better. Trip to the vet, no REAL answer. Started reading up and discovered some breeds have a real issue with yeast, aggravated by common dog food products. Switched her to Blue Buffalo and all her yeast problems have cleared up. Now if I could just get her weight down!! LOL, but she's hungry!!
A trick that works to take weight off of dogs, fairly easily. As you say - they are ALWAYS hungry. I have Boxers, I know.

The best trick is to substitute 1 cup of dry dog food with 1 drained can of green beans. I usually add some beef or chicken broth to make it a tasty little meal. If you compare the calories of 1 cup of dog food versus 1 cup of green beans (65), it makes a big difference. But the green beans are bulky in size and being fiber which helps fill them up and keeps them satisfied.

Our first Boxer developed bad knees by the time she was 3 1/2. We had to maintain her weight to help with her knees. And she was spoiled rotten. When I met my best friend, she told me about the green beans. So that started the new diet. And it did help maintain her at a good weight until near the end of her life.

Sadie was 4 when we adopted Satin. So Satin never knew that dog food came without green beans. When we would visit my best friend's house - Aunt Eileen's - Satin would run to the kitchen to see what was in their food bowls. (Eileen free fed.) We could always hear her pushing the dry food out of the bowl and onto the tile floor looking for the green beans - her favorite part! I would ALWAYS have to yell "There were no beans at this house. Leave them alone." Every time she went to the house until the end of her life too.

Hope this helps. I did Boxer Rescue for almost 20 years and have had to learn alot about dogs and cats with my rescue work. So if you have any questions, feel free to ask.