View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012, 12:32 PM
jrhboxers

Originally Posted by Psychomomquilter View Post
I did find some recipes, including the allrecipe. That looks like a lot of flour to use, and I thought garlic was not good for our pets...hey I also am willing to try, boil liver and mix it with the doggie food I have and see if he will eat it.

what about adding gravy to the dry food?? could someone tell me the yes or no on this? thanks.
Garlic is really GOOD for the dogs. Same benefits as for people. Dogs cannot have ONIONS. Especially cooked onions. Something about the chemicals that make us cry can be deadly for them.

When you add gravy to dry food, you are adding a LOT of flour. I always use broth - chicken or beef. And broth is also good when they are not feeling well. It has electrolytes and things and the salt in it actually makes them thristy-er.

In case anyone needs it, I do have a recipe for 'Satin Balls'. This is a recipe that was developed by the Vet School at Ohio State University. It is designed to be completely balanced nutritionally balanced and has a VERY low residue. That means that 93-95% of the food is actually absorbed into the body. It is used for dog's that are under doctor's care - it was developed for dogs going through chemo for cancer (Satin died of mast cell cancer in her lymph system).

I passed the recipe onto an owner in our town in North Carolina that had a Boxer with HUGE medical issues. I won't go into them, but she was skin and bones and was not able to absorb nutrients correctly. Most of her nutrients were given to her IV. I introduced them to the Satin Balls and they started using them exclusively. They even made baby balls and froze them and those were Roxie's favorite treat. They said that it was a huge difference because she was actually asking to eat. When we left NC, and when we have visited, we always check on Roxie. When I saw her 3 months ago, she weighed 48lbs. and her weight had been stable for over a year. When we met her, if she went for a short (3-4 block) walk with her family, she would have to be carried home. Now, they had to get an invisible fence because she would wander into town and someone would call and say that she was at the school (3 MILES away). The vet has said that they were sure that she would not live to be 2 years old, but now she is almost 6 and going strong.

Sorry for the book, but Roxie is a miracle, at least to me and her family.