Old 11-11-2012, 07:33 AM
DogHouseMom

Mal

I have the Janome 6600 and I FMQ on it. I also tried the HQ Sweet 16 (and the Baby Lock Tiara) and both are lovely machines and I want one! I have a hard time *justifying* the cost of a machine that "only" quilts ... but seriously ... the more I think about it the more I want (need) it!! I simply don't want to donate the space that a long arm on frame would take so the table model mid/long arms are the perfect answer for me.

When I sat down at the Sweet 16 I was right at home as the set up (being a table mounted mid-arm) is identical to how I learned to FMQ on my Janome with a few slight differences - beneficial differences!!! The first difference is obvious ... space! The second difference is the speed control on the machine which I loved. I did not like the stitch regulator at all ... so suggest you try that and see how you like it. You might be able to save $1200.00. Using the Sweet 16 with the stitch regulator was to me a much different experience than FMQ on my Janome. Using the machine with the speed control was very similar - with more control - as FMQ on my Janome.

If I were you I would at least make a few small practice sandwiches on your Janome (have you done that yet?) and see how you like FMQ. Just make a few 9" samples ... try writing your name, stipling, and perhaps one or two other designs. Some people never take to FMQ so it would be wise to at least try it (assuming you haven't yet). It doesn't have to look right at this point, it only has to FEEL right to you. You need to be able to say "yes - with practice it will look right!!". If you can do that, then spring for the Sweet 16. Once you have it, you can further hone your skills.

BTW - I'm sure you've figured it out, but a lot of the previous comments made by others are applicable to a standard long arm on a frame - not the sit down mid/long arm models that we are talking about. FMQ on these sit down machines is almost identical to FMQ on our domestic because we move the quilt ... not the machine head. I have tried - and HATED - the standard frame mounted machine heads.

Last edited by DogHouseMom; 11-11-2012 at 07:36 AM.