Old 11-11-2012, 12:34 PM
aborning

Originally Posted by crashnquilt View Post
My sister and I learned FMQ on our domestic machines. We went to a show and Sis bought the HQ sit down model and I bought the HQ with frame and table. Both of us came to the same conclusion, WHY DID WE WASTE OUR TIME USING OUR DOMESTIC MACHINES?! There is no comparison between domestic and longarm. These are two totally different experiences. On the sit down model you do not get "drag" on the quilt like on the domestic. If you are using a high loft batt, you can adjust your hopping foot height on the HQ. Sis has the sit down model and LOVES LOVES LOVES IT. She doesn't have to "battle" the quilt like you have to with a domestic. In fact, sis even replaced a heavy zipper in a coat with her HQ. She said it went in like a breeze.
I hope this info helps. Regarding the resale value, I really can't give any advice there. Also, you might take a look at the HQ website in the forums. You might be able to find a really good deal on a used machine.
I have to agree with all of this. I quilted 4 quilts on my domestic machine and then bought a long arm machine on frame. There is no comparison and I will NEVER quilt another quilt on my domestic machine. If I ever haved to get rid of my long arm for any reason, I will be a HQ Sit Down in a heart beat!. Quilting on a long arm is completely different than quilting on a domestic machine--so I wouldn't even bother with the domestic. If you have the funds, I would buy a HQ 16 or HQ Avante. There are many peole who buy them and then decide to upgrade to a longer troat--so you can find very good deals on used ones. If I were you, I would look for a used one--if you are purchasing to quilt only for yourself. My friend has had a HQ Avante for 2 years and does some quilting for others besides herself, and loves her machine and has had no problems with it. Good Luck.